Wendy Williams announces 3-week hiatus due to Graves’ disease


Wendy Williams is taking three weeks off from her talk show.

The former radio personality turned daytime TV show host was candid with her live audience Wednesday as she made the announcement. The 53-year-old has Graves’ disease and hyperthyroidism, both of which she has spoken about in the past. 

>> Read more trending news 

“Wendy is a true champion and has never missed a day of work. But her health and well-being must be put before all else,” a show representative told People. “Wendy has been openly dealing with her Graves’ disease for many years, in addition to hyperthyroidism. Yesterday, Wendy’s doctor prescribed a necessary three weeks of rest to get her levels and medication in sync. The show will be in repeats during this unplanned hiatus. A live show was produced today so that Wendy could speak directly to her fans and explain her condition.”

“My doctor has prescribed -- are you ready? As of today, three weeks of vacation,” she said.

Williams then described the symptoms that come with Graves’ disease and hyperthyroidism.

“Along with hyperthyroid and Graves’ disease, it promotes nervousness,” Williams said. “No, I’m not nervous. Anxiety, please. I’m over 30 years in this game.”

Related: Watch: Wendy Williams faints on live TV

The wife and mother to a teenage son did admit she has some symptoms, including a rapid heartbeat.

“Now, I can cop to irritability, but I’m just thinking it’s me micromanaging,” she said. 

Ever the workhorse, Williams said she would be back in less than three weeks.

“I’ll be back in two (weeks). I’m not an heiress. Who is going to pay my bills? Are you serious? I’m just saying, I come from working class,” she said.

Williams said she blamed her symptoms on the stresses of being a working wife and mother, encouraging women to put their health first.

“What I want to say to women, more than men, is stop putting everyone first because if we’re not good, they’re not good,” she said. 

Williams took three days off last week after she said she was “feeling flu-ish.” It was the first time she was out sick from the show since it started in 2009. 
In October, Williams fainted on-air while introducing a segment.

Related: Wendy Williams addresses fainting on live Halloween show

“That was not a stunt,” Williams said at the end of that episode. “I overheated in my costume, and I did pass out. But you know what? I’m a champ and I’m back.”

CNN reported that there will not be a fill-in host for the show. Repeat episodes will air during the hiatus.

Watch Williams’ message to viewers below.


Reader Comments


Next Up in Nation World

Sandy Hook school receives threat on shooting anniversary
Sandy Hook school receives threat on shooting anniversary

On the sixth anniversary of the elementary school shooting that left 20 first-graders and six teachers dead, Sandy Hook Elementary School received a bomb threat, multiple news outlets reported Friday. >> Read more trending news  On Dec. 14, 2012, Adam Lanza, 20, walked into the elementary school and started shooting, CNN reported. The weapons...
Clark County Municipal Court cases
Clark County Municipal Court cases

CASES CALLED WEDNESDAY INCLUDED: Israel Lavern Carter, 46, of 3952 Harris Lane, OVI, guilty, 33 days jail with 30 days suspended, three days jail credit for time served for driver’s intervention program, six months probation, 12 months driver’s license suspension, fined $375. Kimberlie M. Cole, 47, of 803 W. Columbia St., theft, guilty...
Family paying $100K for photographer to travel the world and take photos for a year
Family paying $100K for photographer to travel the world and take photos for a year

A wealthy family from the United Kingdom is looking for a photographer to spend a year documenting their world travels. >> Read more trending news  The globetrotting family plans to travel in three-month increments throughout Europe, North and South America and Australia, including attending events like the Formula Grand Prix in Monaco and...
Michael Cohen says Trump knew hush money payments were wrong
Michael Cohen says Trump knew hush money payments were wrong

President Donald Trump knew it was wrong to direct his then-attorney Michael Cohen to make payments to silence a pair of women who claimed they had sexual affairs with Trump ahead of the 2016 presidential election, Cohen said Friday in a televised interview. Cohen, 52, told ABC’s “Good Morning America” that Trump ordered him...
Government shutdown could still impact more than 400 local jobs
Government shutdown could still impact more than 400 local jobs

While a partial government shutdown would likely have little impact on Wright-Patterson, more than 400 federal employees in the region could still be affected. A quarter of the federal government could shut down just before Christmas if lawmakers don’t agree on a spending bill. Wright-Patterson Air Force Base is not expected to close if President...
More Stories