Urbana, Tippecanoe and Shawnee drew the top three seeds in the upcoming Division II boys high school basketball tournament.
No. 1 seed Urbana (13-4) will play No. 13 seed Graham (2-14) on Saturday, Feb. 22.
No. 3 seed Shawnee (11-5) has a first-round matchup vs. No. 12 Northwestern (4-11) also on Feb. 22.
The only non-Central Buckeye Conference teams in the D-II sectional at Springfield are Meadowdale and Clinton-Massie.
Boys tournament play begins on Friday, Feb. 21. The girls season began their season one week earlier than the boys. The girls start tourney play today.
In other area tournament draw highlights:
- Springfield (15-5) was lumped with a No. 4 seed in the D-I Dayton 3 bracket at Butler. The Wildcats were among the area’s top D-I teams at 13-2, but a 2-3 slide since her their postseason positioning might have hurt them.
The Wildcats will open the postseason against No. 16 seed Sidney (5-15) at 8:30 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 21.
- Tecumseh (16-3) has the misfortune of being a few boys over the D-I limit and could do no better than a No. 7 seed in the D-I Dayton 3 bracket at Vandalia Butler. The Arrows opens against No. 10 seeded Greenville (11-8) on Friday, Feb. 21.
- Northwestern (2-17) and Greeneview (7-11) are up against it in D-III, with top seed Chaminade Julienne (9-8) in their way. The Jets, a No. 20 seed, will play CJ in a postseason opener on Friday, Feb. 21. The winner gets No. 18 seed Greeneview in the next round on Tuesday, Feb. 25.
- West Liberty-Salem drew a bye as a No. 17 seed in D-III. But the Tigers likely will face No. 2 seed Stivers on Tuesday, Feb. 25 at Tippecanoe.
- Area teams loaded up the D-IV field. Mechanicsburg (13-4) was the highest seed at No. 5 in the Piqua field. The Indians are matched against Covington (5-15) in the first round on Saturday, Feb. 22.
- Six-seeded Southeastern (10-8) is the second-highest area seed and drew a first-round bye. The Trojans will play the No. 2 seed Troy Christian (17-2) vs. No. 9 seed Miami Valley (5-14) winner on Wednesday, Feb. 26 at Troy.
- Also in the D-IV Piqua sectional is No. 9 Triad. Other area teams in the D-IV Troy sectional are No. 7 seed Catholic Central (7-9), No. 8 Cedarville (9-9), No. 11 Yellow Springs (3-14) and No. 13 Emmanuel Christian (2-9).
Catholic Central and Cedarville play in a Monday, Feb. 24 first-round game.