You have reached your limit of free articles this month.

Enjoy unlimited access to SpringfieldNewsSun.com

Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks.

GREAT REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

  • IN-DEPTH REPORTING
  • INTERACTIVE STORYTELLING
  • NEW TOPICS & COVERAGE
  • ePAPER
X

You have read of premium articles.

Get unlimited access to all of our breaking news, in-depth coverage and interactive features. Starting at just 99c for 8 weeks.

X

Welcome to SpringfieldNewsSun.com

Your source for Clark and Champaign counties’ hometown news. All readers have free access to a limited number of stories every month.

If you are a News-Sun subscriber, please take a moment to login for unlimited access.

OHSAA Board of Directors approves Competitive Balance Proposal


The following was released by the Ohio High School Athletic Association on Tuesday:

The Ohio High School Athletic Association Board of Directors has unanimously approved a Competitive Balance proposal that makes modifications on how schools are placed in tournaments in team sports. The plan, recommended to the Board from the 27-member OHSAA Competitive Balance Committee, is similar to the proposal that member schools voted upon last spring.

In addition to the size of a school’s enrollment, new modifying factors may be applied to students on each roster on a sport-by-sport basis that are based on where the student’s parents reside and/or the educational system history of the student. All schools will be subject to the new competitive balance formula, which will be applied to students in the sports of football, soccer and volleyball in the fall, basketball in the winter and baseball and softball in the spring. This year’s referendum voting by the 825 high school principals will take place between May 1 and 15. If approved, it is anticipated the proposal will become effective for the 2016-17 school year.

“I’m extremely pleased with the plan that the committee has recommended and the Board has approved,” said OHSAA Commissioner Dan Ross. “While the proposal is similar to last year’s, the modified version is the result of a compilation of input from our superintendents, principals, athletic administrators and coaches. I’m most proud that we were able to work together and come up with a solution that will create a better system than we currently have because it looks at how schools secure the enrollment of their students participating in interscholastic athletics.”

If passed, the new proposal will require schools to submit to the OHSAA their team rosters of student-athletes in grades 9 through 12 and to further provide more information about each student. Students in public schools will be subject to modifying factors if their parents do not reside in the district or the student has not been continuously enrolled in the district since seventh grade, and students in non-public schools will be subject to the same modifying factors if they did not attend that school’s designated “feeder” school(s) continuously since seventh grade or have not been continuously enrolled in the same system of education.

“I believe the Competitive Balance Committee has met its charge in that this proposal is not only reliable but also can be clearly applied and fairly administered for all member schools,” Ross said, “with the ultimate objective being to promote competitive equity and ensuring that student-athletes will continue to learn life lessons in an education-based setting.

“The Board and Competitive Balance Committee are committed to continuing to study this issue, working on ways to improve the formula. As we’ve said in the past, this proposal, should it pass, is a starting point and any data and feedback gathered after the plan is rolled out will only help strengthen what changes can take place in the future. Any proposed formula changes in the future will also continue to be voted upon by the membership.”

As has been done in the past, the OHSAA staff will provide further details of the proposal, along with the other referendum issues, and answer questions during the annual OHSAA Town Hall Meetings (formerly known as Athletic Discussion Meetings) in April. Besides the four face-to-face meetings, plans are being finalized to also discuss the proposal during on-line meetings.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Sports

5 players the Bengals are most likely to draft
5 players the Bengals are most likely to draft

The Cincinnati Bengals own a top-10 pick in the NFL Draft for the first time since 2011 after a run of five consecutive playoff appearances ended in 2016. What had been a young, talented and deep roster allowed the Bengals the luxury of viewing the draft through a broader lens, knowing they weren’t dependent on their top picks making immediate...
The ESPN we used to enjoy is dead and never coming back
The ESPN we used to enjoy is dead and never coming back

The worst thing that ever happened to ESPN was the success of PTI. Shortly after Pardon The Interruption debuted in October 2001, the network set about trying to replicate it on every other show on the network. That has proven to be a disaster because nobody in Bristol gets the debate isn’t what makes that show great, it’s the debaters...
Report: Cincinnati Reds plans for Devin Mesoraco coming into focus
Report: Cincinnati Reds plans for Devin Mesoraco coming into focus

Devin Mesoraco is ready to return to the Cincinnati Reds. Per MLB.com, that means the team is likely to start carrying three catchers when Mesoraco is activated Friday. The Reds are in a bit of a sticky situation because they don’t want to lose Stuart Turner, their current backup catcher, but also would like to continue carrying an extra reliever...
Ohio State NFL draft prospect Gareon Conley statement on rape allegations: ‘Completely false’
Ohio State NFL draft prospect Gareon Conley statement on rape allegations: ‘Completely false’

Gareon Conley has released a statement one day after news broke he is the subject of a sexual assault investigation in Cleveland.  Through his lawyer, the former Ohio State cornerback denied the allegations he raped a woman in a hotel room in early April.  “The things being said about me and what happened that night are not true...
Report: Dayton Flyers hosting recruit from Baltimore
Report: Dayton Flyers hosting recruit from Baltimore

Anthony Grant’s efforts to remake the Dayton Flyers basketball roster on the fly continue. National basketball recruiting analyst Julius Kim reported Wednesday morning Grant, UD’s new coach, was hosting Obadiah Toppin for an official visit.  Toppin is a 6-foot-9 senior at Mt. Zion Prep in Baltimore, Md., and one of the best players...
More Stories