One day after finding out he had been left off the National League All-Star team, Jay Bruce admitted he was disappointed but said fans should save their pity.
“There’s no time to feel sorry for myself, and no one should feel sorry for me either,” Bruce said. “I’ll have plenty more opportunities to make the All-Star team, and I believe I will.
“Yeah, I was a little disappointed, but I’m not the first — and definitely won’t be the last — guy left off an all-star team,” Bruce added. “It would do me no good to gripe and moan and complain. You definitely can’t discount the years that the guys named to the team are having, and I’m not going to let it become one of those things, the ‘woe is me’ deal. I feel like I had numbers that would garnish some attention and some consideration, but it’s not up to me.”
Bruce entered Sunday’s game against Seattle hitting. 274 with 18 home runs and 59 RBIs. He also has yet to make an error in 182 chances and has two assists.
St. Louis’ Carlos Beltran, Colorado’s Carlos Gonzalez and Washington’s Bryce Harper were voted in as starting outfielders, while Philadelphia’s Domonic Brown, Colorado’s Michael Cuddyer, Milwaukee’s Carlos Gomez and Pittsburgh’s Andrew McCutchen were selected as reserves by San Francisco manager Bruce Bochy.
“I got a text from (Bochy) last night, and he said to tell Bruce and (Shin-Soo) Choo, (Mike) Leake, (Mat) Latos and (Homer) Bailey that they had strong consideration for the All-Star game,” Reds manager Dusty Baker said. “He said it was especially tough to leave Bruce off.”
Every year there are additions to the roster because of injuries or other issues, so there is still a chance Bruce could make his third All-Star appearance.
“That’s something I’d obviously welcome, but I don’t want to wish harm or injury to anyone at all,” said Bruce, who made the All-Star team as a reserve in 2012 and 2011.
“It’s been some of the most memorable times in my career,” he added. “I really, really wanted to make the team. Anyone wants to make the All-Star team. Being an All-Star is something really, really special. For two of our guys (first baseman Joey Votto and second baseman Brandon Phillips) to be starting is pretty awesome. I’m excited to watch that.”
The one beef both Bruce and Baker did have was the inclusion of Dodgers rookie Yasiel Puig, who has played only 31 games with 123 at-bats, on the MLB.com Final Vote ballot.
“He’s been great so far, but I think there are guys that are more deserving,” Bruce said. “We’ll see what happens. It’s up to the fans to vote him in or not.”
Baker also said Puig was undeserving and called it a “marketing thing.”
Dubious record: Reds starting pitcher Bronson Arroyo became the franchise’s career leader in home runs allowed when he surrendered a first-inning solo shot to Seattle’s Nick Franklin on Sunday.
It was the 235th homer Arroyo has allowed in eight seasons with the Reds, one more than Tom Browning surrendered in during his 11 years with the team.
Arroyo allowed his 236th two innings later, a two-run shot by Justin Smoak.
Only Oakland: The weekend series against Seattle marked the first time the Mariners had played at Great American Ball Park, leaving the Oakland Athletics as the only current Major League Baseball team yet to visit Cincinnati since GABP opened in 2003.
The Reds have played four interleague series against the A’s since moving to GABP, but all four have been in Oakland.