It’s been a very good year for Springfield-area high school boys and girls athletic teams.
As sure things go, there’s no beating Graham in wrestling. That’s the way it’s been the last 13 years for the Falcons. Graham matched the state team title win streak of 13 consecutive by Lakewood St. Edward by once again overwhelming the Division II competition at Columbus last March.
In football, Shawnee (9-2), Kenton Ridge (7-4) and Urbana (10-1) of the Central Buckeye Conference all advanced to the playoffs.
The Ohio Heritage Conference topped that by sending four teams to the playoffs: Triad (12-1), Mechanicsburg (11-3), West Liberty-Salem (10-3) and Cedarville (7-4). Mechanicsburg was the surprise, advancing to the newly D-VII state semifinals.
There were plenty of other notable area highlights from 2013.
Feb. 9, state wrestling team tournament, St. John Arena, OSU:
Graham won five of its last seven matches to overtake Uhrichsville Clayton 36-24 and win the D-II title in the team tourney debut. The Falcons advanced by beating Toledo Central Catholic 43-18 in the semifinals and Athens 60-12 in the quarterfinals.
Feb. 28-March 2, individual state wrestling at the Jerome Schottenstein Center, OSU:
Graham’s Bo Jordan won his fourth state championship to add another record to the wrestling-rich family. Jordan also was named the D-II MVP in leading the Falcons to their 13th straight state title, 155.5-87.5 over runner-up Massillon Perry. Graham junior Micah Jordan also collected his third state title.
Greeneview placed fifth in the D-III team standings, thanks to runner-up placings by Logan Lacure (120) and Andrew Hoskins (126).
- First, D-II, 113, Eli Seipel, Graham.
- First, D-II, 132, Micah Jordan, Graham.
- First, D-II, 152, Alex Marinelli, Graham.
- First, D-II, 160, Bo Jordan, Graham.
- Second, D-III, 120, Logan Lacure, Greeneview.
- Second, D-III, 126, Andrew Hoskins, Greeneview.
- Third, D-III,182, Armani Robinson, Greeneview.
- Fourth, D-III, 160, Max Erwin, Mechanicsburg.
- Fourth, D-II, 182, Brandon Rogers, Northwestern.
- Fourth, D-I, 152, Chuck Buchanan, Tecumseh.
- Fifth, D-I, 220, Devin Nye, Springfield.
- Fifth, D-II, 182, Jack Harris, Urbana.
- Fifth, D-III, 138, Austin Reese, Mechanicsburg.
- Sixth, D-III, 126, Trevor Anderson, West Liberty-Salem.
- Eighth, D-III, 138, Anthony Decarlo, Catholic Central.
Feb. 21-23, girls and boys state swimming and diving at C.T. Branin Natatorium, Canton:
Shawnee senior Kendra Crew set a 100-yard breaststroke state record of 1:02.57 in the prelims. However, she placed second in the finals. She also was second in the 200 IM (2:03.60).
- Fourth, D-II boys, Jeff Ross, Catholic Central, 100 fly (51.50).
- Sixth, D-II girls, Ragen Engel, Catholic Central, 50 free (24.26).
- Sixth, D-II boys, Justin Crew, Shawnee, 500 free (4:46.53).
- Sixth, D-II boys, Matt Pettit, Catholic Central, 100 back (52.96).
- Eighth, D-II girls, Engel, 100 breast (1:06.40).
- Ninth, D-II boys, Ross, Catholic Central, 200 IM (1:56.70).
June 7-8, boys and girls state track and field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium, OSU:
West Liberty-Salem senior Meghan Vogel returned to the scene of her greatest moment, helping an exhausted runner finish the grueling 3,200 meters in the 2012 state meet. The image of Vogel lending her help went national.
- Second, D-II boys 3,200, Michael Tymoski, Shawnee, 9:29.74.
- Third, D-III girls 1,600, Vogel, West Liberty-Salem, 5:00.28.
- Fifth, D-II boys 4x800 relay, Shawnee (Michael Tymoski, Will Holmes, Dusty Seelig, Tyler Greenwood) 7:54.74.
- Fifth, D-III boys high jump, Brandon Welch, Mechanicsburg, 6-4.
- Sixth, D-II boys 1,600, Tyler Greenwood, Shawnee, 4:20.95.
- 11th, D-III girls 800, Vogel, West Liberty-Salem, 2:20.00.
June 8, State softball at Akron Firestone Stadium:
Newark Licking Valley defeated Kenton Ridge 6-5 in the D-II state final. Brittany Hartling had three hits for the Cougars, who egded Granville 1-0 in the state semifinals.
It was the first time Kenton Ridge (31-3) had been back to state since placing runner-up in 2003. The Cougars also were second in 2002 and 1999.
Oct. 11-12, Boys state golf at OSU’s Scarlet Golf Course, Columbus:
- Fifth, D-III team, West Liberty-Salem 676 (Nick Sims 155, Ethan McBean, 167, Jacob Rutan 169, Kannon Stillings 185, Casey Gay 200).
- 12th, D-III team, Catholic Central 763 (Sam Juergens 176, Quinnton Howard 192, Sean Jacobs 198, Kyle Foley 197, Ian Collins 205).
Nov. 11, boys state cross country at National Trail Raceway, Hebron:
- Third, D-II, Will Holmes, Shawnee, 16:15.86.
- Fifth, D-II team, Shawnee (Holmes, Jordan Penrose (16:45.99), Drew Hickman (17:20.94), Joel Rodgers (17:37.76), Seth Brouhard (17:38.56).