One Texas woman's maternal instinct was put to the test when a friend’s dog that she was watching suddenly attacked her young daughter.
According to this KHOU11 report, when the pit bull attacked the child without provocation, Chelsi Camp fought back, shoving her fist into the dog’s mouth and biting off the dog’s ear to free her daughter from the animal.
During the incident, Camp managed to call 911. Upon arrival, a police officer shot the dog, but did not kill it. The dog, which had a friendly reputation before the attack, was later euthanized.
Camp suffered an arm injury but has since returned to work. The child, 2-year-old Mackenzi Plass, suffered wounds on her face and legs but is healing nicely, according to Camp. Doctors have advised the girl to avoid direct sunlight for a year as she heals.
Camp says she still loves all breeds of dogs, and thinks the friend’s dog attacked her daughter because it smelled their own dog on the child.
- FBI: Teen stows away on San Jose to Maui flight
- Fisherman catches 800-pound shark off Gulf Coast
- Judge tells killer: 'I hope you die in prison'
- 30-year-old woman charged with teen's murder apparently had child with him
- Pizza chain hopes to add a ‘pizza cake’ to its menu