- Staff Report
One of the first church buildings in Springfield, which stood at the southwest corner of Fisher and Columbia at 35 N. Fisher, was built in 1850 for St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran.
The space was enlarged in 1870, renovated in 1888, and sold to the Salvation Army in 1897 after St. John’s moved to its current home at Wittenberg and Columbia.
The Salvation Army remained at that location until the early 1950s before moving to West High Street.
Today, the old church building has been demolished and the southwest corner of Fisher and Columbia contains the National Road Commons Park.