You have reached your limit of free articles this month.

Enjoy unlimited access to SpringfieldNewsSun.com

Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks.

GREAT REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

  • IN-DEPTH REPORTING
  • INTERACTIVE STORYTELLING
  • NEW TOPICS & COVERAGE
  • ePAPER
X

You have read of premium articles.

Get unlimited access to all of our breaking news, in-depth coverage and interactive features. Starting at just 99c for 8 weeks.

X

Welcome to SpringfieldNewsSun.com

Your source for Clark and Champaign counties’ hometown news. All readers have free access to a limited number of stories every month.

If you are a News-Sun subscriber, please take a moment to login for unlimited access.

Springfield restaurant will temporarily close for renovations


After reopening over the weekend, Mi Jalapeno Mexican Restaurant, 1236 Upper Valley Pike, will temporarily close this week for renovations.

The restaurant expects to reopen Friday, according to owners.

Last week, the restaurant was padlocked. The Clark County Combined Health District said it did not padlock the restaurant, but an eight-page inspection found several health code violations, including roaches and other unsanitary conditions.

Owners worked overnight cleaning the facility last Thursday and were permitted to reopen the restaurant, according to Anita Biles, the health district’s Safe Communities Coordinator.

“(Staff) felt they had made drastic improvements,” Biles said.

Health inspectors also provided a list of non-food-related improvements which needed to be made in the future to certain areas, such as fixing ice machines, light bulbs, hand wishing, mop sinks, the kitchen ceiling and spraying for roaches.

Eleven codes were violated including roaches, old food residue and trash accumulation among others, according to an initial inspector’s report filed last Thursday.

The report lists Asucena Venavidez as the operator of the business. Umberto and Asucena Venavidez purchased the restaurant in 2007 for more than $425,000, according to auditor’s records.

After a slow weekend, owners on Monday decided to close temporarily to make renovations and complete the health inspector’s list, according to Sandra Venavidez, the owner’s daughter.

“We want to start fresh,” she said.

Owners will work hard to get the restaurant back on track, Venavidez said.

“We’re going to do a full renovation with new paint on the inside and outside,” she said.

Health inspectors will also keep track of the restaurant’s progress each day throughout the review.

“They really are trying to make a change here,” Biles said.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in News

Security experts warn about possible violence at inauguration
Security experts warn about possible violence at inauguration

As the nation's security agencies gear up for President-elect Donald Trump's inauguration on Friday, some experts in the field are warning of the potential for volatility. >> Read more trending stories  "Unlike previous inaugurations in presidential history, this is predicted to be the most volatile," said Ross Bulla, a security...
Dr. Bernice King: ‘My father would meet with Trump’
Dr. Bernice King: ‘My father would meet with Trump’

As a war of words plays out between President-elect Donald Trump and Georgia congressman and civil rights icon John Lewis, one is left to wonder what MLK Jr. would have done in the wake of the 2016 election. >> Read more trending stories  Two days before her famous father's birthday, the daughter of the civil rights icon answered that question...
Dems call for county commissioner in Georgia to resign after John Lewis comments
Dems call for county commissioner in Georgia to resign after John Lewis comments

Gwinnett County Commissioner Tommy Hunter waded into controversial territory over the weekend when he wrote a Facebook post calling U.S. Rep. John Lewis -- a civil rights legend already locked in a war of words with President-elect Donald Trump -- a “racist pig.” The reaction to Hunter, a Republican, taking on Lewis a few days before...
Another musical act drops out of Trump inauguration lineup
Another musical act drops out of Trump inauguration lineup

It was announced last week that the B Street Band, a Bruce Springsteen cover band, was going to perform at the Garden State Inaugural Gala to ring in the Trump-Pence administration with song. Not anymore. >> Read more trending stories  The band, which performed after two election wins by outgoing President Obama, told 'Entertainment...
Civil rights activist urges for understanding at Wittenberg event

A longtime civil rights activist urged students and community members to fight for policies and principles they believe in, but stressed they should avoid personal attacks on those with whom they disagree. Dorothy Tillman, a civil rights activist and a former Chicago alderman, was the guest speaker for Wittenberg University’s annual Martin Luther...
More Stories