More than 57 percent of Americans say they are Christians, with just over half of those saying they are Protestant.
The part of the nation you are in heavily influences which faith comes in number two.
In the Midwest, Buddhism and Islam rule the alternate spot. In the northeast, Judaism comes in behind Christianity.
The Washington Post reports Islam is the second most practiced religion in 20 states, followed by Judaism in 15.
Buddhism comes in behind Christianity in 13 states, including Oklahom. Hinduism finishes second in two states, and the Baha’i faith is number two in South Carolina.
The stats were compiled by the Association of Statisticians of American Religious Bodies. The group puts together a census on US religion every 10 years.
- Newlywed couple killed in head-on crash with each other
- 6th baby dies in 'Nap Nanny' recliner; officials urge owners to stop using product
- Son gives dad '57 Chevy for 57th birthday - a childhood promise
- Two killed, multiple injured trying to retrieve cellphone from toilet
- 13-year-old cancer victim leaves behind secret note