Andre Johnson, a member of the rap group Northstar, severed his penis and jumped from a Los Angeles apartment building early Wednesday, according to police and media reports.
According to TMZ, the jump from the second floor balcony may have been a suicide attempt. Johnson goes by the stage name Christ Bearer.
UPDATE: An early story from TMZ and repeated in many initial online reports indicated Johnson also used the stage name Andre Roxx, but according to The Epoch Times, that report was incorrect. Epoch Times reports Andre Roxx is a different rapper who was affiliated with Wu-Tang Clan and was not the one who jumped from the building.
CNN reports that L.A. police indicated Johnson was seriously injured, but survived the fall from the building in North Hollywood. He was taken to Cedars-Sinai hospital in critical condition.
According to the TMZ report, fellow Northstar members lived in the building and told TMZ that Johnson was not on "any hard drugs that would cause him to do such a thing."
A Facebook page titled Chirst Bearer of Northstar shows several promotional posters for the group Northstar.
- Message in a bottle found after a century at sea
- Blood moon' attracts stargazers, conspiracy theories
- Woman arrested after 7 dead babies found in Utah home
- Woman living in luxury sentenced for stealing up to $377,000 in government benefits
- Bear attack leaves woman injured but alive in Florida suburb