Posted: 4:37 p.m. Friday, July 12, 2013

Man gets 14 years in rape, kidnap

Springfield man denies crimes as he is sentenced to maximum.

Related

Man gets 14 years in rape, kidnap photo
WHIO TV
Duane Portman Sr. was sentenced in Judge Douglas Rastatter’s courtroom, Clark County Court of Common Pleas, on Friday, July 12, 2013. Jeff Guerini/Staff

By Michele Crew

Staff Writer

A Springfield man convicted of rape, robbery and kidnapping was sentenced to prison on Friday afternoon.

Duane Portman Sr., 44, was sentenced by Clark County Common Pleas Judge Douglas Rastatter to 14 years in prison and must register every 90 days as a tier 3 sex offender upon his release.

Portman will receive credit for the time he has spent in the Clark County Jail.

During the sentencing, Portman maintained his innocence.

In crimes this big, “some will never admit what they’ve done,” said Andy Wilson, Clark County prosecutor.

Last month, Portman was found guilty on single counts of aggravated robbery and kidnapping and six counts of rape.

Clark County assistant prosecutor Amy Smith said Portman shows no remorse for what he did.

Last September, Portman was shot in the face after raping the victim, who is an escort, at his business on East Main Street.

The victim said Portman held a gun to her head while he raped her, she then wrestled the gun from him before she shot him. She drove to Good Samaritan Hospital in Dayton for help.

According to Smith, the victim agreed to meet him at his place but did not have any intention of having sex with him.

After the incident, Portman said he did not remember when and where he was shot.

Wilson said Portman received the maximum amount for each sentence.

“In a case like this, he will serve all 14 years,” said Wilson.

Portman’s attorney declined to comment.

More News

 
 

Hot topics