You have reached your limit of free articles this month.

Enjoy unlimited access to SpringfieldNewsSun.com

Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks.

GREAT REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

  • IN-DEPTH REPORTING
  • INTERACTIVE STORYTELLING
  • NEW TOPICS & COVERAGE
  • ePAPER
X

You have read of premium articles.

Get unlimited access to all of our breaking news, in-depth coverage and interactive features. Starting at just 99c for 8 weeks.

X

Welcome to SpringfieldNewsSun.com

Your source for Clark and Champaign counties’ hometown news. All readers have free access to a limited number of stories every month.

If you are a News-Sun subscriber, please take a moment to login for unlimited access.

17-year-old created malware used in Target breach: report


After millions of shoppers fell victim to massive data breaches at Target and Neiman Marcus, a new report shows the mastermind behind the malware used in the attacks is a 17-year-old boy. 

That's according to security researchers for IntelCrawler. IntelCrawler's president said while finding out who might be behind the vicious malware is a step in the right direction, it doesn't tell investigators who's responsible for the recent attacks on popular retailers.

"He is still visible for us, but the real bad actors responsible for the past attacks on retailers such as Target and Neiman Marcus were just his customers."

The report says the teen allegedly created the malware last March and started selling it to an unreported number of cyberhackers in Eastern Europe for the relatively low price of roughly $2,000.

WFXT notes the teen is from the Ukraine while authorities believe the malware used in the Target and Neiman Marcus breaches was used by hackers in Russia.

Up to 110 million Target shoppers reportedly had much of their personal information like credit card numbers, PINs and even personal addresses compromised because of the breach. (Via WMAQ)

So far, Neiman Marcus hasn't said how many customers might have had personal information stolen, but The New York Times reports the attack there started back in July and lasted much longer than Target's breach.

A security expert told CNN the credit card information stolen from Target customers is being sold on the black market for as low as $1.50 apiece and the breach might even have ties to the Russian mob.

Making matters even more troubling, the data theft could possibly extend beyond those two stores.

Bloomberg reports a security company working with the government says there could potentially be several more stores where customers have had their data stolen. Researchers say there's evidence similar attacks have been going on since last June and stores don't even know about it.

Both Citibank and JPMorgan Chase have announced plans to reissue all of its customers' debit cards in reaction to the recent security breaches.

- See more at Newsy.com



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Nation World

Foggy conditions early, temperatures drop this week
Foggy conditions early, temperatures drop this week

Early heavy fog for parts of the Miami Valley Rain chances higher today and even higher Monday Temperatures slowly falling this week Chance for snow returns by the end of the week TODAY: Mostly cloudy with highs in the middle to upper 50s. Chance for rain in the evening and overnight. TONIGHT: Showers possible. Temperatures falling into the middle...
Baker of Trump's inauguration cake says she was commissioned to copy Obama's
Baker of Trump's inauguration cake says she was commissioned to copy Obama's

Celebrity pastry chef and Food Network star Duff Goldman took to Twitter early Saturday to point out that President Donald Trump’s inauguration cake appeared to be an exact replica of the cake he designed and created for Barack Obama’s 2013 inauguration. In a message posted to his Twitter account, Goldman included a side-by-side...
Springfield High School debates major overhaul
Springfield High School debates major overhaul

A major overhaul of how Springfield High School is structured could stop students from getting lost in the system, district leaders believe. Currently the high school has five academies that each of its nearly 2,000 students selects, which were intended to provide career paths and create a smaller-school environment in the large building after North...
'Saturday Night Live' takes swipe at Trump inauguration attendance – minus Alec Baldwin
'Saturday Night Live' takes swipe at Trump inauguration attendance – minus Alec Baldwin

Alec Baldwin's absence didn't stop "Saturday Night Live" from taking yet another swipe at President Donald Trump.
10 sassy signs from women's marches around the world
10 sassy signs from women's marches around the world

As crowds flooded streets Saturday for women's marches around the world, many protesters carried signs bearing bold statements and witty slogans.
More Stories