A Phoenix father is facing two counts of child abuse after security video surfaced of him allegedly throwing his 23-month-old daughter into a swimming pool.
According to KTVK, Corey McCarthy told police he threw his daughter in the water to "teach her a lesson" after she dropped a 5-week-old puppy in the pool. The puppy died. McCarthy said he was trying to show his daughter the dangers of playing around water.
In the shocking footage, McCarthy appears to pick up his daughter, Mia, and launch her into the pool. Another woman races across the pool to save the child.
Mia's mother, who wasn't there, is upset.
"I am very angry and I'm very hurt, and I just hope that my kids are going to be OK from this," the toddler's mother, Samantha, told KTVK. "People make mistakes, but this is past a poor decision and a mistake. This is a child."
Family members say McCarthy is in the prison infirmary because he was beaten up in jail.
- Human foods that could be dangerous, if not deadly, to dogs
- Teacher suspended for grabbing boys face, holding him against a wall
- Classmates find out teen girl was actually 31-year-old impostor
- Woman barred from ranting about family on Facebook
- Teen attacked 4-year-old girl with crowbar at Wal-Mart, police say