The threat of a Listeria contamination forced a company to issue a voluntary recall Thursday of approximately 14,860 pounds of hummus and dip products from stores across the country including mega-chains Target and Trader Joe’s.
The Massachusetts-based Lansal Inc. said the recall was only as a precaution.
The products included:
- Target Archer Farms Traditional Hummus 10 oz. -- UPC 85239233405 (Use by date of June 11, 2014)
- Target Archer Farms Traditional Hummus 2lb. (Non-retail item; Ingredient item used in SuperTarget store production of 2 items, Archer Farms Mediterranean Veggie Hummus Wrap and Archer Farms Mediterranean Veggie Hummus Wrap and Archer Farms Hummus Veggie Snacker) – UPC 896863001823 (Use by date of June 11, 2014)
- Target Archer Farms Roasted Garlic with Roasted Garlic Tapenade 17 oz -- UPC 85239233498 (Use by June 9, 2014; June 12, 2014)
- Trader Joe’s Edamame Hummus 8oz. -- UPC 988582 (Use by April 28, 2014; April 28, 2014; April 29, 2014; May 9, 2014)
- Trader Joe’s 5 Layered Dip Small 11.5oz. -- UPC 435451 (Use by April 15, 2014)
Trader Joe’s 5 Layered Dip Large 24oz. -- UPC 274043 (Use by April 15, 2014)
A full list can be found on the FDA website.
Listeria can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems.
Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
Consumers who have purchased the above hummus products are urged not to eat it and to dispose of it or return it to the place of purchase for a full refund. Consumers with any questions may call toll free (877) 550-0694 from 8:00A.M. to 8:00P.M. Eastern Standard Time 7 Days a week.
- Mother in danger reaches out to gas station clerk for help
- Black bear saves cub from oncoming traffic (video)
- School district apologizes over yearbook quote incident
- Dad accused of throwing child in pool to 'teach her a lesson'
- Woman posts husband's alleged cheating all over their town