"The odds, I’d guess, are 1 in infinity,” one police officer said.
Steven Ayers and his family were celebrating bringing home their 3-day-old baby when a bullet came through a window and hit him in the back of the head, killing him instantly.
Cops in Panama City, Florida discovered a neighbor, Charles Shisler in the yard behind Ayer’s home.
WJHG says the arrest report notes Shisler was "extremely belligerent.” He finally admitted he fired the 9mm pistol saying, “the damn gun doesn’t usually shoot."
"You have to squeeze the hell out of the trigger to shoot it," he continued.
The report points out the bullet traveled nearly the length of a football field past trees and shrubs, through a window screen and a sliding glass door before it hit Ayers in the back of the head.
Raw Story reports tests confirmed Shisler was intoxicated at the time of the shooting.
The 62-year-old has been charged with manslaughter and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.
- Toddler dies after being left in hot SUV all day
- WATCH: Atlanta father, son catch 884-pound fish in Canada
- Cops: Mom hired Craigslist stranger to get son to grandparents
- Deputies: 450-pound Florida man hid drugs in stomach fat
- Concerned citizen posts photo of dog locked in hot car on Facebook