David Bowers thought he was doing the right thing. When he heard that a customer's truck was on fire, the store greeter sprung into action, grabbing a fire extinguisher and quickly putting out the blaze.
But instead of being rewarded for his actions, the Michigan man soon found himself out of a job.
Later in the week, he was notified that he was being fired for leaving his post.
Bowers says he knew his actions might violate the company's policies, but he felt he had to act. He also admits he was suspended several years ago for leaving his post when he chased after a shoplifter.
The owner of the truck, Ken Kuzon, is shocked at the company's decision, "I thought that was what we were supposed to do, you know you have somebody that is in need, don't you help them, but I guess not," Kuzon said.
Meijer released a statement to UpNorthLive.com defending the store director's decision to fire Bowers, "The safety of our customers and team members is a top priority at Meijer."
"We have a very specific protocol in place for our team members to follow when emergencies occur, and we can't allow any deviation from the policy that could put our customers or team members at risk."
Bowers has been unable to find a new job since being let go last month.
Trending on Facebook
- Atlanta Delta pilot becomes inadvertent Internet darling after actress tweet
- Video shows woman glued to Home Depot toilet seat
- Accidental Google search allegedly ruins man's life
- Outrage over rich teen's 'affluenza' defense in 4 deaths
- Teen who killed four while driving drunk will serve no jail time