The accident happened Feb. 15 in the southbound lanes on Interstate 95 near Southwest Seventh Street.
Investigators said driver Kaseem Smith was distracted for a moment and hit an inside wall twice. When he overcorrected, the truck smashed through the guardrail, flew off the exit ramp and crashed into a parking lot 100 feet below.
"He basically focused on something else, so he is driving carelessly. He collides twice with the wall, and that's when he overreacts," FHP spokesman Joe Sanchez said.
Smith was thrown from the cab and taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital. His family says it's a miracle that he survived.
Smith received two citations for careless driving and not wearing a seatbelt.
RAW VIDEO: Whoa! For the first time, the Florida Highway Patrol is showing video from inside the cab of a trash truck that fell 100-feet from an overpass. The driver survived.Posted by CBS Los Angeles on Monday, March 7, 2016
- Rory Feek shares heartbreaking message after wife, Joey, dies
- Student charged after sharing nude pictures of teacher
- Tattoo-faced man's mug shot shocks in Texas assault case
- Teen searches for biological father in heartfelt Facebook post
- Mother accused of throwing her two-year-old daughter in a dumpster