breaking news

Springfield man accused of breaking in to home of woman, baby

Sen. Al Franken accused of groping woman in 2010


A woman accused Sen. Al Franken, D-Minnesota, of groping her during a photo-op in Minnesota in 2010, two years after the former comedian and radio show host was voted into the U.S. Senate, CNN reported on Monday.

>> Read more trending news

Lindsay Menz, now 33, told CNN that she was posing for a photo with Franken at the 2010 Minnesota State Fair when the senator “pulled me in really close, like awkward close, and as my husband took the picture, (Franken) put his hand full-fledged on my rear.”

She said the “uncomfortable” incident left her feeling “gross.”

"It wasn't around my waist. It wasn't around my hip or side. It was definitely on my butt," she told CNN. "I was like, ‘Oh my God, what's happening?’"

In a statement to CNN, Franken said that he felt “badly that Ms. Menz came away from our interaction feeling disrespected,” but he said he didn’t remember taking the photo with her.

Menz came forward in the wake of allegations against Franken made by Los Angeles news anchor Leeann Tweeden. In a blog post for KABC, Tweeden wrote that Franken, who was a radio host for Air America at the time, forced himself on her as they were practicing a skit he wrote for the tour.

Franken has since apologized for the incident.

>> Related: Sen. Al Franken accused of kissing, groping news anchor without consent

“I felt disgusted and violated,” Tweeden wrote. “No one saw what happened backstage. I didn’t tell the sergeant major of the Army, who was the sponsor of the tour. I didn’t tell our USO rep what happened.”

She said she focused on entertaining the troops and didn’t speak up because she “didn’t want to cause trouble.”

“We were in the middle of a war zone, it was the first show of our holiday tour, I was a professional and I could take care of myself,” she wrote. “I told a few of the others on the tour what Franken had done, and they knew how I felt about it.”

>> Related: 'SNL' slams former cast member Al Franken on 'Weekend Update'

Franken called for an investigation into the 2006 incident after apologizing to Tweeden in a statement last week.

"The truth is, what people think of me in light of this is far less important than what people think of women who continue to come forward to tell their stories," Franken said. "They deserve to be heard, and believed. And they deserve to know that I am their ally and supporter. I have let them down and am committed to making it up to them.”


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Nation World

Man accused of bringing drugs into Clark County Jail
Man accused of bringing drugs into Clark County Jail

A man is facing multiple charges after he allegedly attempted to hide drugs before being booked into the Clark County Jail. Donald R. Silvers III, 34, is facing charges of illegal conveyance of drugs of abuse onto the grounds of a specified governmental facility and drug abuse. He’s expected to appear in the Clark County Municipal Court at 10...
Springfield man accused of breaking in to home of woman, baby
Springfield man accused of breaking in to home of woman, baby

Springfield police claim a man broke into a woman’s home with a baby inside while he was trying to evade police. Ronald Cantrell Jr., 27, of Springfield, is charged with kidnapping, breaking and entering and obstructing official business in Clark County Municipal Court. He pleaded not guilty in court on Wednesday and bond was set at $28,500....
Quitting smoking? Local Walmart stores to offer free health screenings
Quitting smoking? Local Walmart stores to offer free health screenings

Local Walmart stores are making it easier to get healthy in 2018. Dayton area Walmart stores will be hosting the first Walmart Wellness Day event of the year on Saturday. The free health screening event provides residents an opportunity to learn health information about themselves. Free screenings will measure:Blood glucose Blood pressure Body mass...
Former U.S. Navy officers face negligent homicide charges in collisions
Former U.S. Navy officers face negligent homicide charges in collisions

The U.S. Navy has announced that five officers, including two commanders, will face negligent homicide charges connected to separate incidents involving the USS Fitzgerald and the USS John S. McCain that cost 17 sailors their lives. A Navy spokesman, Capt. Greg Hicks, said the charges, which also include dereliction of duty and endangering...
‘Bad news’ for the city: 7 reactions to Good Samaritan Hospital’s closure
‘Bad news’ for the city: 7 reactions to Good Samaritan Hospital’s closure

Premier Health announced Wednesday that Good Samaritan Hospital in Dayton will close by the end of the year, shocking employees and community members in the Miami Valley. Good Samaritan Hospital will close by the end of 2018, impacting about 1,600 employees. The news came as a surprise to city officials, hospital employees and patients. Premier...
More Stories