Sandy Hook school shooting 911 calls to be released


Nearly a year after the school shooting in Newtown, Conn. that left 20 children and six adults dead, officials plan to release the 911 calls from that horrifying day.

A Connecticut state prosecutor says he won't try to stop the recordings of the seven 911 calls made from inside Sandy Hook Elementary School from being released Wednesday afternoon after fighting for months to keep them under wraps. A judge ordered the recordings' release last week. (Via NBC)

According to State's Attorney Stephen Sedensky III, the shooting was a case of child abuse, and the release of the 911 tapes could deeply upset the families who lost loved ones in the Dec. 14, 2012 shooting. (Via WHDH)

"I don't feel that the actual audio tapes serve any public interest. And I do worry about our children and our families listening to this in the future." (Via CBS)

He also argued the recordings could even make people lose their faith in the 911 system.

After 20-year-old Adam Lanza killed his mother at their home then drove to the elementary school and murdered 26 people with an assault rifle, some speculated police were told to wait before going inside the school. (Via ABC)

But there was never any way for the public to know for sure — until now.

The Freedom of Information Commission ruled in September that the calls should be given to The Associated Press, but Sedensky was able to stall the release by applying for a stay to hold it. But it was later denied. (Via WSOC)

The court decision said there was quote "no dispute" that the 911 calls made from Sandy Hook are public records within the Freedom of Information Act, and the judge was confident those who placed 911 calls would, without hesitation, do it again. (Via CNN)

The court says it believes the release of the Sandy Hook 911 tapes will help the public see the quote "...professionalism and bravery of the first responders who themselves have undoubtedly been subjected to emotional turmoil and pain in witnessing the scene..." (Via Los Angeles Times)

The news of the release comes just days after officials decided that Lanza acted alone in the massacre and was obsessed with school shootings — but they were unable to establish a motive.

- See more at newsy.com

 



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Nation World

Here’s where you can get freebies and deals to celebrate the solar eclipse
Here’s where you can get freebies and deals to celebrate the solar eclipse

The solar eclipse is just hours away, and a gang of companies are celebrating the big celestial event with freebies and deals.  From sweet treats to kitchen appliances, take a look at these offerings to score all of the best discounts.  The chain is honoring the occasion with its Perfect Eclipse Margarita. The special is only good on Aug...
Illinois town taking center stage for eclipse
Illinois town taking center stage for eclipse

A small town in Illinois will be the focal point Monday when a total solar eclipse crosses North America for the first time in 99 years. In Makanda, located in the southern part of the state, the eclipse will be visible for more than two minutes, CBS News reported. Residents are approaching the event with a party atmosphere. "I do feel...
Brent Spence Bridge lane closures coming to an end
Brent Spence Bridge lane closures coming to an end

Round-the-clock lane closures for Brent Spence Bridge maintenance are coming to an end on Monday morning for southbound lanes and on Aug. 25 for northbound lanes. All four northbound lanes on the bridge will be reopened by 5 a.m. Aug. 25. MORE: Majority support for Brent Spence tolls Crews will begin restoring the northbound (lower) deck of the Brent...
Comedy genius Jerry Lewis has died at 91
Comedy genius Jerry Lewis has died at 91

Legendary comedian, brash entertainer,  zany actor and dedicated humanitarian Jerry Lewis has died in Las Vegas at the age of 91. He died at his home at 9:15 a.m. , according to the Las Vegas Review-Journal and confirmed by his agent, Variety reported. Lewis was born Joseph Levitch in 1926 in Newark, New Jersey to show business parents...
Man, 51, killed in Clark County crash
Man, 51, killed in Clark County crash

A 51-year-old Catawba man was killed in a crash on Redmond Road south of Old Columbus Road Saturday night, according to the Ohio Highway Patrol. Gary Jacks was driving a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse south on Redmond when he drove off the left side of the road and struck a tree, troopers said.  He was not wearing a seat belt and troopers do not suspect...
More Stories