breaking news

Springfield man accused of firing gun in dollar store parking lot

Police release last text from 14-year-old electrocuted by cellphone in bath


Authorities in New Mexico on Friday released the final text message sent by 14-year-old Madison Coe before she was electrocuted while taking a bath earlier this month.

>> Read more trending news

Family members told KCBD that Madison was visiting her father in Lovington, New Mexico, on July 9 when she was electrocuted and killed while using her plugged-in cellphone in the bath.

A trio of text messages released by Lovington police showed an image sent by Madison of a cellphone charger plugged into an extension cord, which was in turn plugged into a bathroom wall outlet. The cords were shown sitting on top of a towel.

"When you use (an) extension cord so you can plug your phone in while you're in the bath," Madison wrote in a subsequent message.

In a statement obtained by EverythingLubbock.com, Lovington police said officials preliminarily ruled Madison’s death an accident due to electrocution.

Police said Madison was using her Samsung S6 Edge cellphone while bathing. She was careful to make sure the cords stayed dry, authorities said, but was apparently unaware of a “significant area of fraying to the extension cord.”

>> Related: 14-year-old electrocuted by cellphone while taking a bath

The cord was plugged into an non-GFCI outlet that was not grounded, police said.

“Specific evidence shows that the cellular telephone was never immersed in water,” police said. “Forensic evidence indicated that (Madison) came in contact with (the) area of the frayed extension cord while she was still in the bathtub, which contained water at the time, resulting in her electrocution.”

Madison’s grandmother, Donna O’Guinn, described the teen last week to KCBD as a “very smart” girl who “just loved life.”

“She was just sweet to everybody and everybody loved her,” O’Guinn said. “This is such a tragedy that doesn’t need to happen to anyone else.”


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Nation World

Area parents told 3-year-old cancer free two days before Thanksgiving
Area parents told 3-year-old cancer free two days before Thanksgiving

A Cedarville-area couple has a lot to be thankful for after learning two days before Thanksgiving that their three-year-old daughter can stop chemotherapy after new tests found no cancer. Stephanie Caraway said Tuesday Dayton Children’s Hospital gave the “no evidence of disease” diagnosis the family had been praying for their daughter...
This Thanksgiving, here are 5 myths about American Indians
This Thanksgiving, here are 5 myths about American Indians

Thanksgiving recalls for many people a meal between European colonists and indigenous Americans that we have invested with all the symbolism we can muster. But the new arrivals who sat down to share venison with some of America's original inhabitants relied on a raft of misconceptions that began as early as the 1500s, when Europeans produced fanciful...
Brick used to break into Springfield drive-through, cigarettes stolen

A brick was used to break into a Springfield drive-through and cigarettes were stolen from the business, according to a police report. MORE: Man threatens woman with butter knife, overdoses, police say Officers were sent to the Ooh Ooh Drive-Thru, 1359 W. First St., at about 4:15 a.m. Wednesday on a report of an alarm being triggered. The front glass...
Influx of students from Puerto Rico after hurricane putting strain on system
Influx of students from Puerto Rico after hurricane putting strain on system

Hurricane Maria destroyed most everything in Puerto Rico, including the island’s schools.  By one estimate, up to 300,000 children will head north to the U.S. mainland to get an education over the next two years. >> Read more trending news Hundreds of children have arrived in Massachusetts so far, and it’s putting a strain on...
5 ways to stay out of debt this holiday shopping season
5 ways to stay out of debt this holiday shopping season

Shopping styles and spending habits are highly personal, but one thing is common — if you’re not careful you can spend more than you make. Patti Stoll, manager of PNC Bank’s wealth management team in Dayton, suggests these tips for dodging overspending this holiday season and staying in the black: Make a list. Shop...
More Stories