After disappearing nearly a month ago, the body of an 80-year-old man was found in Douglas County, Georgia. His dog was alive and by his side according to police.
The body of Jimmy Aaron Wilkerson was found adjacent to a logging road and power line, Capt. Jeff Richards with the Carroll County Sheriff’s Office said. Wilkerson’s truck was located late Monday night in a small creek, Richards told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
“It was just soft, murky, mud,” Richards said of the area where the truck was found.
Investigators from both Douglas and Carroll counties returned today with police dogs, who led police to the man’s body. There were no initial signs of foul play. Wilkerson’s remains were taken to the GBI Crime Lab for further evaluation.
Police believe Wilkerson’s truck may have gotten stuck, prompting him to get out and walk, Richards said. He only made it a few hundred yards, according to police.
Wilkerson was last seen on Mother’s Day with his small, white Maltese dog at Little Vine Church Road in Villa Rica, police previously said. Investigators said he was seen leaving in a gray 1982 Chevrolet S-10 pickup with a camper shell, The AJC previously reported.
The dog had been bitten and needed medical attention, but was otherwise fine, Richards said.
WSB-TV contributed to this report
- 6th baby dies in 'Nap Nanny' recliner; officials urge owners to stop using product
- 12-year-old girls accused of stabbing friend to please fictitious creature
- Woman adds odd bridal 'accessory,' her 1-month-old daughter, to her gown
- Judge tells attorney 'I'll beat your ...' and allegedly throws punches
- Bay Area woman breeding, releasing rats raises concern