A Seattle house was set on fire Tuesday night by a man trying to kill a spider with a makeshift blowtorch, firefighters said.
The man who rented the house was trying to kill a spider in the laundry room with a can of spray paint and a lighter, authorities said. The flames quickly spread through the room and into the attic.
“I saw flames coming out of the side of the house and heard popping sounds,” said neighbor Sue Green.
Fire crews worried there could be ammunition in the house. They told neighbors to go back inside. The threat of explosives in the house was later ruled out.
“There were giant clouds of smoke pouring out of the windows,” said Kaitlin Sharp, who lives nearby.
Neighbors hosed down their houses and yards to try to keep the flames from spreading.
The man who started the fire lives in the house with his mother. When the fire got out of control, he called 911. The owners of the house showed up to see the damage. The fire reportedly caused $40,000 damage to the structure – $20,000 worth of contents. The Red Cross is helping the renters.
- 'Dead’ toddler wakes up at her own funeral
- Nude homeowner scares off burglar, burglar apologizes
- Father’s touching photo request sparks action on Reddit
- Teen takes selfie with Paul McCartney, Warren Buffett
- Video shows shoppers smash windows to rescue kids in hot car