You have reached your limit of free articles this month.

Enjoy unlimited access to SpringfieldNewsSun.com

Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks.

GREAT REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

  • IN-DEPTH REPORTING
  • INTERACTIVE STORYTELLING
  • NEW TOPICS & COVERAGE
  • ePAPER
X

You have read of premium articles.

Get unlimited access to all of our breaking news, in-depth coverage and interactive features. Starting at just 99c for 8 weeks.

X

Welcome to SpringfieldNewsSun.com

Your source for Clark and Champaign counties’ hometown news. All readers have free access to a limited number of stories every month.

If you are a News-Sun subscriber, please take a moment to login for unlimited access.

Disney World receipt clears man of murder after 25 years


This story really blew our minds. A man is finally free after almost 25 years in prison. He was falsely convicted, and the scary thing is that evidence proving his innocence seems to have been right there the whole time.

WCBS reports Jonathan Fleming was convicted in a shooting murder based on the testimony of a witness who later recanted. Fleming said when the murder happened, he was on a trip to Disney World with his family.

>> Read more trending stories  

But this is what makes his conviction really unbelievable.

"A receipt shows him paying a hotel bill in Orlando just four hours before the murder in Brooklyn."

"And that's never (been) turned over to the defense team." (Via NY1)

Fleming's family also declared he'd been on vacation with them. And Fleming and his family are what really makes the story stand out: We noticed that across all their interviews with local outlets — they remained incredibly positive. 

Fleming says he intends to go to school so he can help free other innocent men. Now, while this case certainly reflects poorly on the district attorney's office of 1990, it does reflect well on Brooklyn's newest district attorney, who took office last year.

The New York Times reports Kenneth P. Thompson has helped get two wrongfully convicted people freed, and Monday added three lawyers to the office's Conviction Review Unit, which is evaluating dozens of cases.

See more at newsy.com.  



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Nation World

Luke Bryan to perform national anthem at Super Bowl
Luke Bryan to perform national anthem at Super Bowl

He’s set to perform the national anthem at the Super Bowl on Feb. 5. This marks the first time Luke has performed at the big game and he’s understandably beside himself with excitement. Luke told People there was never a doubt he would take on this gig. When the NFL made the big request, Luke said, “Hell yes, I’ll...
Trump calls Georgia Gov. after deadly storms
Trump calls Georgia Gov. after deadly storms

President Donald Trump on Sunday called Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal to offer condolences about the deadly storms that have swept through the state.  Trump described the tornadoes as vicious and powerful during remarks in the East Room of the White House during his second full day in office, according tot he Associated Press.  CNN reported that...
3 things to know today about West Liberty school shooting
3 things to know today about West Liberty school shooting

Here are three things to know today about the West Liberty-Salem school shooting, which happened Friday morning. 1. The victim’s condition is improving Ryan Cole, father of 16-year-old victim Logan Cole, posted on Facebook Saturday night that his son was doing much better and was even allowed to have visitors after having his breathing tube removed...
New tavern, restaurant opens in Springfield
New tavern, restaurant opens in Springfield

Tim Rigel has owned a lot of businesses and properties in Springfield over the years from drive-throughs and rentals to sports complexes and car lots. Rigel hopes his latest venture is his lasting legacy and one for Springfield. Park Road Tavern, located at 2205 Park Road in the former Casey’s Restaurant and Banquet Facility, opened softly in...
Ohio Task Force 1 on alert for possible deployment to South after storms
Ohio Task Force 1 on alert for possible deployment to South after storms

Ohio Task Force 1 is on alert to help with rescue and recovery operations in the South, hit hard by severe weather that has killed more than a dozen people. Ohio Task Force 1, based in Dayton, is getting an 80-person team ready after it was placed on alert by the Federal Emergency Management Agency. The alert requires the OH-TF1 urban search and rescue...
More Stories