Disney cuts funding to Boy Scouts over anti-gay policies


The Boy Scouts of America has lost another sponsor due to its anti-gay policies. Disney announced Saturday that starting next year, it will stop all funding to the scouting organization.
 
While Disney did not comment on the announcement, its website says any charities that "discriminate in the provision of services unlawfully or in a manner inconsistent with Disney's policies”would not be tolerated.
 
And even though the Boy Scouts of America voted last year to finally admit gay members, the group still maintains a ban on gay Scout leaders.
 
While the company does not sponsor the Boys Scouts directly, Disney’s VoluntEARS program allows employees to help out at organizations and earn money for their own causes. According to the Orlando Sentinel, workers can receive up to $2,000 for at least 10 hours of work.
 
And in 2010, Disney says employees racked up almost 600,000 volunteer hours, raising $4.8 million for charity.
 
Boy Scout leaders were obviously disappointed in the decision with head of Public Relations Deron Smith saying that "it will impact our ability to serve kids. America's youth needs scouting." But the groups national commissioner Tico Perez added that he wasn’t surprised. "Disney was very forthright that this was coming down the pike, and they're otherwise great community partners."
 
But beyond the BSA, Disney’s judgement drew almost universal praise.
 
The Human Rights Campaign said the decision "carries a unique weight. When you think about brands that exemplify childhood, you think of Disney, and with them dissociating with BSA, it speaks volumes of where we are with the views we want to send to young people."
 
Out Magazine added, “Now you’ve done it BSA. Sure you can ignore the HRC or GLAAD, but you do not mess with the House of Mouse.”
 
And Scouts for Equality director Zach Wahls, an organizer of former Boy Scouts, said that they’re “never happy to see Scouting suffer as a result of the BSA’s anti-gay policy, but Disney made the right decision to withhold support until Scouting is fully inclusive.”
 
Even with the split, Disney hasn’t cut all ties with the Scouts. Its 1966 scouting film Follow Me, Boys! is still a staple of Boy Scout camps across the country.
 
Other companies who’ve suspended Boys Scouts funding include Lockheed Martin, Caterpillar, Intel and UPS.

 



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Nation World

Suspect named in Pennsylvania police officer's shooting death
Suspect named in Pennsylvania police officer's shooting death

Here’s what we know about the fatal shooting of a New Kensington, Pennsylvania, police officer: >> Read more trending news
Venus Williams' Florida home burglarized, $400,000 in goods stolen during U.S. Open
Venus Williams' Florida home burglarized, $400,000 in goods stolen during U.S. Open

The Florida residence tennis star Venus Williams calls home was burglarized as she played in the U.S. Open in September, according to a Palm Beach Gardens police report released Thursday. Though what was taken from the home at BallenIsles Country Club is redacted from the report, police indicate more than $400,000 worth of items were taken...
J. Crew apologizes after photo of black model with messy hair sparks controversy
J. Crew apologizes after photo of black model with messy hair sparks controversy

J. Crew is facing criticism after a photo of one of its models and her seemingly unkempt hair surfaced online. The black woman, dressed in a Madewell dress, was photographed with her natural hair messily pulled back in a ponytail. But everyone wasn’t impressed with the look. >> Read more trending news One Twitter user took to the platform...
PERSPECTIVE: The magic of Thanksgiving togetherness

The calm before the rush of Thanksgiving preparation invites reflection. My mom, although extraordinary in matters of the heart, was really not a very good cook. I’m the first to admit her Thanksgiving turkey was a tad dry, and the cauliflower-au-gratin was s bit more watery than Velveeta cheesy. Yet she managed to create the best of what Thanksgiving...
Heroin dealer convicted of manslaughter after buyer fatally overdoses 
Heroin dealer convicted of manslaughter after buyer fatally overdoses 

A drug dealer was convicted of involuntary manslaughter after selling heroin to a man who later died of an overdose from the opioid.  April Thomas Guthrie, 34, was also convicted of delivery of heroin and was sentenced to three to five years, according to WNCT.  Kendal Walbert died of a heroin overdose in August 2014 after buying heroin...
More Stories