Christmas miracle saves injured puppy rescued at recycling facility


A lucky puppy named "Gem" was recovering at San Francisco Animal Care and Control Sunday, two days after the injured dog was plucked from certain death at a landfill from a trash sorting conveyor belt by recycling center workers.

Gem was given her name by staff at the shelter where she is being nursed back to health.

"She's a precious little gem that ended up in a trash can," said animal control officer Capt. Lee Ellis Brown.

The ten-month-old Apricot Poodle mix was found Friday evening by Recology staff at the transfer station off Tunnel Road near Candlestick Park.

The puppy was found when a trash bag on a conveyor belt where workers were sorting out recyclables from the garbage moved by itself.

"We could tell the puppy was still moving and it was trying to crawl out of the bag itself," said Recology material handler Gregory Foster. "Luckily we stopped the line in time before it actually fell off the belt into the pit."

The pit is the final stop before the landfill.

"We pulled the puppy out of the bag and examined it. The puppy was frightened, scared. It was whining," said Foster.

Foster and his co-workers called San Francisco Animal Care and Control. The puppy suffered significant wounds to its neck.

"Some are consistent with bite wounds, but we're still not sure. So our veterinarian has examined her and we're just waiting," said Brown.

In the meantime, animal control is seeking the dog's owner and answers as to both the injuries and how the pup found her way into the trash.

Animal welfare would like to know what truck Gem came in on into this facility. That might help determine where in the city she came from.

However, the workers at the facility said that would be difficult if not impossible. One thing seems clear: the puppy was disposed of deliberately.

"It had to go into a dumpster by someone placing her there," said Capt. Brown.



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Nation World

Jimmy Kimmel shares update on infant son following heart surgery
Jimmy Kimmel shares update on infant son following heart surgery

A few months ago, Jimmy Kimmel revealed that his newborn son, Billy, was diagnosed with a congenital heart disease. The newborn was found to have a “hole in the wall of the left and right side of his heart.” Kimmel broke down on his show as he described his son going into surgery and described the wait as “the longest three hours...
Car thief suspects caught on camera arrested in same clothes in Springfield
Car thief suspects caught on camera arrested in same clothes in Springfield

Two men caught on camera stealing a car in Richmond were still wearing the same clothes when they were arrested in Springfield, deputies said. Richmond, Indiana, police on Tuesday notified the Clark County Sheriff’s Office that a stolen black Pontiac G6 could be in the Springfield area. A short time later, a deputy spotted the car near Springfield...
Owl in wheel of plane delays flight out of Portland airport
Owl in wheel of plane delays flight out of Portland airport

A flight out of Portland International Airport was delayed last week when flight crew saw a owl in a plane. KGW reported that a barn owl was in the wheel well of a small PenAir plane. The plane was at the airport overnight and was stored in an older hanger that typically has owls around it, according to an airline spokesman. Crew members found...
Prince George celebrates his fourth birthday with official portrait
Prince George celebrates his fourth birthday with official portrait

Prince George will be celebrating his fourth birthday on Saturday. In anticipation of the little prince’s day, Kensington Palace has released a new portrait of George. E! Online reports that the photo was taken by Chris Jackson of Getty Images, who takes many photos for the royal family. “The Duke and Duchess are very pleased to share...
Chipotle food scare highlights issue that impacts thousands annually
Chipotle food scare highlights issue that impacts thousands annually

Chipotle is grappling with more cases of foodborne illness, an issue that causes one in six Americans to get sick annually after consuming contaminated foods or beverages. The company’s stock has taken a hit this week following foodborne illness issues at a restaurant in Virginia and a report of rodents scurrying around at one of their restaurants...
More Stories