One man is missing after he was swept to sea during an ocean baptism in California on Sunday morning.
KABC reports two other people were also pulled in after a large wave came through during the baptism. Those two were able to get out safely, but 43-year-old Benito Flores was swept away.
Emergency crews started searching for the man shortly after he was swept to sea. Helicopters were up in the air Sunday searching for the 43-year-old, and the Coast Guard sent out a vessel to help out in the search. (Via Santa Maria Times)
The beach is on a sand dune preserve north of Santa Barbara. Officials at the preserve warn people that the waves can get dangerous. Still, the church that held the baptism Sunday reportedly does it two or three times every year. (Via Los Angeles Times)
Officials are now fearing the worst as KNBC noted they have assumed the man is dead after their search for him turned out unsuccessful Sunday.
The search for the missing man resumed Monday.
- Video: Road rager crashes after flipping woman the bird
- Teen says he can save government $370 million
- Giant 16-inch rat terrorizes family, chases cat
- Your stick figure family may be putting your family in danger
- Mom arrested for BUI, breastfeeding under the influence