breaking news

Severe T-storm watch, wind advisory in effect 

Wind company pulls controversial proposal

Urbana opposed plan that is part of effort to build 100 turbines.


Representatives from the Buckeye Wind farm said they are backing out of a controversial proposal that would have relocated a temporary construction yard outside Urbana.

Buckeye Wind LLC had planned to use the staging area during construction of two phases of the wind farm, which would build about 100 turbines across several townships in Champaign County.

Officials from Urbana opposed the plan, raising concerns that the new location could jeopardize a proposed sewer line extension to Robert Rothschild Farm, which is also located near that intersection. Urbana, along with Champaign County and Rothschild Farm, reached an agreement earlier this year on a roughly $787,000 investment to extend a sewer line to that intersection. The sewer line is expected to allow the company to expand and hire as many as 25 new full-time employees.

A notice filed with the Ohio Power Siting Board shows Buckeye Wind withdrew part of a proposal that would have moved a construction staging area 1.3 miles west to the intersection of U.S. 36 and Three-mile Road.

A hearing is scheduled in Columbus next month over the dispute, but withdrawing the plans to move the staging area should alleviate most of the city’s concerns, said Jason Dagger, a spokesman for Buckeye. The staging areas that have been approved should still be adequate to allow construction, Dagger said.

Jim Gordon, president and CEO of Robert Rothschild Farm, could not be reached for comment.

Breanne Parcels, a staff attorney for the city who has been handling the case, said she is still reviewing the proposed changes and declined comment. The city is finalizing plans to submit to the EPA for the sewer project, said Tyler Bumbalough, Urbana city engineer. Construction on the sewer line could begin as early as this spring.

Other proposed changes to Buckeye’s application will remain, even though the proposal to move the staging area has been withdrawn, Dagger said. Buckeye is planning to move a proposed substation by about 1,000 feet and add a new access road that was not included in the original application.

Dagger said he has not spoken to city officials since the notice of withdrawal was filed Friday.

Previously, Dagger has said the wind company did not believe the staging area would affect the proposed sewer extension, but he said the company was willing to work with the city and planned to keep an open dialogue.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Community News

Venus Williams' Florida home burglarized, $400,000 in goods stolen during U.S. Open
Venus Williams' Florida home burglarized, $400,000 in goods stolen during U.S. Open

The Florida residence tennis star Venus Williams calls home was burglarized as she played in the U.S. Open in September, according to a Palm Beach Gardens police report released Thursday. Though what was taken from the home at BallenIsles Country Club is redacted from the report, police indicate more than $400,000 worth of items were taken...
J. Crew apologizes after photo of black model with messy hair sparks controversy
J. Crew apologizes after photo of black model with messy hair sparks controversy

J. Crew is facing criticism after a photo of one of its models and her seemingly unkempt hair surfaced online. The black woman, dressed in a Madewell dress, was photographed with her natural hair messily pulled back in a ponytail. But everyone wasn’t impressed with the look. >> Read more trending news One Twitter user took to the platform...
PERSPECTIVE: The magic of Thanksgiving togetherness

The calm before the rush of Thanksgiving preparation invites reflection. My mom, although extraordinary in matters of the heart, was really not a very good cook. I’m the first to admit her Thanksgiving turkey was a tad dry, and the cauliflower-au-gratin was s bit more watery than Velveeta cheesy. Yet she managed to create the best of what Thanksgiving...
Heroin dealer convicted of manslaughter after buyer fatally overdoses 
Heroin dealer convicted of manslaughter after buyer fatally overdoses 

A drug dealer was convicted of involuntary manslaughter after selling heroin to a man who later died of an overdose from the opioid.  April Thomas Guthrie, 34, was also convicted of delivery of heroin and was sentenced to three to five years, according to WNCT.  Kendal Walbert died of a heroin overdose in August 2014 after buying heroin...
Revolving restaurant had no protections to stop boy's death, lawsuit says
Revolving restaurant had no protections to stop boy's death, lawsuit says

The company accused of negligence after a 5-year-old died at the Sun Dial restaurant had no comment Friday about a lawsuit filed against it. “Due to the pending litigation, we are not commenting on the matter,” Marriott International, Inc. spokesman Jeff Flaherty told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution in an email.  The parents of ...
More Stories