Roads made slick by the quick freezing of snowfall on already cold surfaces contributed to several vehicle accidents -- one of which turned deadly -- throughout the region on Thursday.
The following is a list of some of the accidents emergency crews responded to Thursday afternoon and evening.
- 4:30 p.m.: The driver of a private ambulance and a patient suffered minor injuries when the vehicle ended up on its top in Miami Twp., along U.S. 68 and Jacoby Road in an area between Xenia and Yellow Springs.
4:05 p.m.: A 22-year-old passenger in a car was killed in a two-vehicle accident believed to have occurred when the car slid out of control on U.S. 33 in Union County. Kyle Bruggemeyer, of Columbus, was in the back seat of a Honda Accord that traveled through the grass median on eastbound 33 and ended up in the westbound lanes, the Ohio Highway Patrol at Marysville reported. The accident, near the entrance ramp from U.S. 33/U.S. 4 south in Paris Twp. in Union County, occurred just after 4 p.m.
Xingyu You, 24, also of Columbus, was driving the car, which was hit by an oncoming semi. The 27-year-old Urbana man driving the semi was treated at the scene for minor injuries. His semi slid into a ditch. The Honda ended up blocking westbound traffic on 33.
You suffered incapacitating injuries, was taken to Union County Memorial Hospital and then to OSU Medical Center. A second passenger of You's, also of Columbus, suffered incapacitating injuries and was taken to the medical center. He was in the front seat. Westbound 33 was shut down for about an hour, the patrol said.
- 2:30 p.m.: A three-vehicle accident Thursday blamed on a snow covered roadway sent a Delaware County mother and her 1-year-old son to a hospital. Maegan Doggett, 20, and her son suffered "incapacitating injuries" on Ohio 31 in York Twp., Union County, the Ohio Highway Patrol post at Marysville reported. They were taken to Union County Memorial Hospital. Their updated conditions were not known. Troopers were dispatched at about 2:40 p.m. to area just south of Ohio 739 for a crash involving a semitrailer and two passenger vehicles. Doggett apparently lost control of her car on the snow covered road and hit two mailboxes before crossing the center line and striking an oncoming semitrailer driven by a Mason, Mich., man. He was not injured, the patrol said. An SUV behind the semi swerved to avoid the collision and struck a tree. The London, Ohio, woman driving that vehicle was not injured, according to the patrol.
- 1:42 p.m.: A black pickup truck rolled over on Waynesville Road near Centerville Road. One person was reportedly trapped.
- 1:30 p.m.: A vehicle slid off southbound Far Hills near Harmon in Oakwood and hit a pole. Crews shut down the road so salt could be applied to the hill.
- 1:23 p.m.: A car and a semitrailer reportedly crashed on Bowers Road, near Ohio 296, in North Lewisburg.
- 1:20 p.m.: A crash was reported on the ramp from Interstate 75 to Ohio 4. No one was injured.
- 1:29 p.m.: An injury crash was reported at North Gettysburg Avenue and James H. McGee Boulevard in Dayton.
- 12:49 p.m.: A two-car crash was reported at James H. McGee and Third Street. Crews reported that streets were slick and vehicles were being diverted from the area.