Springfield Then & Now: Mad River Valley Bank

    Staff Report
    12:00 a.m. Friday, Feb. 9, 2018 Homepage
HANDOUT
In 1846 that Mad River Valley Bank of Ohio opened as the first bank in Springfield with a capital of $100,000. It was incorporated as the Mad River National Bank in January 1865 and in 1869, the building shown here at 22 E. Main Street was constructed. Employees of the bank are shown here in the last 1870s: Thomas McGrew (left) and Charles Bacon (later president and vice president) with C.F. Harrison and Joe Sharp looking out of the windows. The Mad River Bank merged with the First National Bank of Springfield in 1928 and moved to what is today known as Hull Plaza at the northwest corner of Main and Fountain. PHOTO COURTESY OF THE CLARK COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

In 1846, the Mad River Valley Bank of Ohio opened as the first bank in Springfield with a capital of $100,000. 

»»Springfield Then & Now: Main Street

It was incorporated as the Mad River National Bank in January 1865. In 1869, the building shown here at 22 E. Main Street was constructed. 

»»Springfield Then & Now: First Presbyterian Church

HANDOUT
In 1846 that Mad River Valley Bank of Ohio opened as the first bank in Springfield with a capital of $100,000. It was incorporated as the Mad River National Bank in January 1865 and in 1869, the building shown here at 22 E. Main Street was constructed. Employees of the bank are shown here in the last 1870s: Thomas McGrew (left) and Charles Bacon (later president and vice president) with C.F. Harrison and Joe Sharp looking out of the windows. The Mad River Bank merged with the First National Bank of Springfield in 1928 and moved to what is today known as Hull Plaza at the northwest corner of Main and Fountain. PHOTO COURTESY OF THE CLARK COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

Employees of the bank are shown here in the late 1870s: Thomas McGrew (left) and Charles Bacon (later the president and vice president), with C.F. Harrison and Joe Sharp looking out the windows. 

»»Springfield Then & Now: Fountain Avenue

The Mad River Bank merged with the First National Bank of Springfield in 1928 and moved to what is today known as Hull Plaza at the northwest corner of Main and Fountain.

HANDOUT
While it is no longer a bank, the building at the location is still very grand. Bill Lackey/Staff

While it is no longer a bank, the building at the location is still very grand.