- Michael Tyler Staff Writer
This home at 1002 E. High was built around 1870 for the family of E.C. Middleton and was later the home of William Warder, the son of early pioneer Jeremiah Warder and brother of Benjamin Warder, who gave the Warder Library to the city.
This shows the home as it appeared in the 1889 Springfield Illustrated.
The next owner around 1900 was W.H. Blee, the president of the Springfield Breweries Company, which was located at Penn and Section.
THEN AND NOW: Fountain Ave in Springfield
In 1928 Joseph C. O’Brien, who had entered the funerary business in 1882, turned it into a funeral home.
His Kenney nephews took over the business following his death in 1936 and it became the O’Brien-Kenney funeral home.
Today it is the Jones-Kenney-Zechman Funeral Home.