3 women accuse Harvey Weinstein of rape: report


Three women accused film producer Harvey Weinstein of forcing them into sexual acts in an expose published Tuesday -- accusations that the Hollywood giant denied in a statement through one of his representatives.

>> Read more trending news

The allegations came to light just days after The New York Times detailed complaints of sexual harassment spanning decades against the Miramax co-founder. Weinstein acknowledged the accusations in a statement to the newspaper last week and vowed to “deal with this issue head on.”

In a report published Tuesday by The New Yorker, former aspiring actress Lucia Evans, Italian actress Asia Argento and a woman who was not identified told the magazine that they were forced into sexual acts with Weinstein. Evans told the magazine that she was assaulted by Weinstein in 2004, while Argento said she was assaulted in 1997. The New Yorker did not say when the third alleged attack took place.

In a statement issued to The New Yorker, a spokeswoman for Weinstein, Sallie Hofmeister, denied the accusations.

“Any allegations of non-consensual sex are unequivocally denied by Mr. Weinstein,” she said. “Mr. Weinstein obviously can’t speak to anonymous allegations, but with respect to any women who have made allegations on the record, Mr. Weinstein believes that all of these relationships were consensual. Mr. Weinstein has begun counseling, has listened to the community and is pursuing a better path. Mr. Weinstein is hoping that, if he makes enough progress, he will be given a second chance.”

Actresses Mira Sorvino and Rosanna Arquette told The New Yorker that they suspected that Weinstein kept them from working in Hollywood after they rejected his advances. Hofmeister denied the allegation.

Four women, including Filipina-Italian model Ambra Battilana Gutierrez, told The New Yorker that Weinstein touched them inappropriately in a way that could be construed as assault.

Guitierrez said she went to the New York Police Department after Weinstein groped her in 2015, according to The New Yorker. He admitted to grabbing her without consent in an audio recording taken by the model for police, but no charges were filed against Weinstein.

Weinstein was ousted from his position with The Weinstein Company on Sunday amid fallout from the sexual harassment allegations uncovered by The New York Times. Multiple celebrities have come out in support of Weinstein’s accusers in the wake of the report.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Crime

Flu outbreak forces an entire school district in Oklahoma to cancel classes for rest of week
Flu outbreak forces an entire school district in Oklahoma to cancel classes for rest of week

An entire Oklahoma school district canceled classes Wednesday through Friday after schools reported excessive flu absences among much of the staff. >> Read more trending news  Morris Public Schools said Monday's absences were at 20 percent, and Tuesday's were at more than 30 percent. Basketball teams will continue competition in the...
Washington State University quarterback Tyler Hilinski found dead with apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound
Washington State University quarterback Tyler Hilinski found dead with apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound

Police in Pullman, Washington, say officers have found Washington State University quarterback Tyler Hilinkski dead Tuesday in an apartment with an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.  At about 4:30 p.m., officers responded to an apartment to check on the welfare of a football player who did not show up for practice earlier in the day...
OPINION: Let’s not use euphemisms for conduct unbecoming a president

Now that Donald Trump has been president for almost a year, it’s time the media call his behavior what it is rather than try to normalize it. Here are the six most misleading media euphemisms for conduct unbecoming a president. 1. Calling Trump’s tweets “presidential “statements” or “press releases.” Wrong...
Haitians under protected status call on administration to process work permits
Haitians under protected status call on administration to process work permits

Thousands of Haitians living in Central Florida said they're just days away from being forced out of their jobs. Many of those worried are workers at Disney World. They were granted Temporary Protected Status after an earthquake devastated their country in 2010. They’re now finding out their jobs are in limbo, because their work authorizations...
Changes promised in wake of racially insensitive basketball jerseys incident
Changes promised in wake of racially insensitive basketball jerseys incident

Changes are being promised for Kings Schools in the wake of last week’s racist incident that drew national attention, but Tuesday evening district officials said details about those changes will come later. That was the message from Kings’ leader and school board members, who took the resignation of their board vice president in the wake...
More Stories