You have reached your limit of free articles this month.

Enjoy unlimited access to SpringfieldNewsSun.com

Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks.

GREAT REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

  • IN-DEPTH REPORTING
  • INTERACTIVE STORYTELLING
  • NEW TOPICS & COVERAGE
  • ePAPER
X

You have read of premium articles.

Get unlimited access to all of our breaking news, in-depth coverage and interactive features. Starting at just 99c for 8 weeks.

X

Welcome to SpringfieldNewsSun.com

Your source for Clark and Champaign counties’ hometown news. All readers have free access to a limited number of stories every month.

If you are a News-Sun subscriber, please take a moment to login for unlimited access.

breaking news

New shopping center proposed at long-vacant Springfield site

Ohio AG sues negligent landlord for Springfield


The state attorney general’s office has sued a California investor to reimburse the city of Springfield more than $13,000 — and perhaps more — it spent razing houses owed by the investor that fell into disrepair.

“The Ohio attorney general’s office has designated significant resources from the National Mortgage Settlement to combat the blight of abandoned houses across Ohio,” Attorney General Mike DeWine said in a statement issued Wednesday afternoon.

“However, not all abandoned properties are the result of the housing crisis or banking practices. There are occasionally egregious cases where negligent property owners have contributed to this problem and should be held liable for these demolition costs, instead of their neighbors and fellow taxpayers. This filing represents three such egregious cases.”

The lawsuit filed in Clark County Common Pleas Court is against Johncar Investments of Lawndale, Calif., which owned three properties at 1321-1323 Mound St., 640 W. Euclid Ave., and 21-23 E. Grand Ave.

Johncar Investments was cited for code violations for several years but took no action to address the violations or demolish the properties. After receiving notice that the properties needed to be demolished, the owners took no further action and the responsibility for the demolitions ultimately fell on the city of Springfield, DeWine’s office said.

The lawsuits seek to collect the demolition costs incurred by the city in demolishing the three properties, which totals more than $13,000.

The lawsuit also seeks interest and costs associated with the lawsuit, an amount that has yet to be determined.

According to DeWine, the attorney general’s office has worked with jurisdictions on collecting demolition costs from negligent property owners as a supplement to the Demolition Grant Program created in February 2012. The grant program helps stabilize and improve communities by removing blighted and abandoned homes with funds from the national mortgage settlement reached earlier this year.

While the total of abandoned homes in Ohio is not available, at least 100,000 vacant and abandoned properties in Ohio are in need of immediate demolition, according to DeWine’s office, which said that estimate is conservative.



Next Up in Crime

Joke is on Florida comedian after Cowboys tattoo backfires
Joke is on Florida comedian after Cowboys tattoo backfires

The playoff loss by his beloved Dallas Cowboys is going to stay witha South Florida resident for some time. Permanently, actually. Jason Garnett, a 24-year-old stand-up comedian from Boynton Beach, was so sure the Cowboys were going to win the Super Bowl this season that last month, he put it down in ink — on his right biceps. "Super Bowl...
Harambe’s grandmother euthanized at age 49
Harambe’s grandmother euthanized at age 49

The grandmother of the internet-famous gorilla Harambe was euthanized after years of failing health, Zoo Miami announced Wednesday.
Almost 100, South Florida man says it’s time to retire
Almost 100, South Florida man says it’s time to retire

Scattered throughout Fred Sergio’s waterfront home in South Florida are dozens of hand-whittled wooden canes, each a piece of the past half-century of Delray Beach’s history. Sergio will celebrate his 100th birthday Tuesday — and amazingly, his retirement from the city as grounds supervisor at Miller Park. When asked to recall...
Waitress moved to tears after receiving $1,000 tip
Waitress moved to tears after receiving $1,000 tip

A 20-year old waitress from Canada was shocked and moved to tears last Saturday when a customer left her a $1,000 tip for a dinner that cost $87.15, ABC News reported. Jennifer Peitsch is a waitress at Mongo's Grill in Winnipeg, Manitoba. She was working an unusually busy shift, which meant longer waits for customers and added anxiety for the waitress...
Bacon keeps sizzle in 109-year-old woman’s life
Bacon keeps sizzle in 109-year-old woman’s life

A 109-year-old woman from southern Illinois says living a clean life has a lot to do with her longevity. And a love for bacon doesn’t hurt, either.
More Stories