An Urbana man serving 42 years in prison after murdering and dismembering his girlfriend is facing new charges in an unrelated case involving a 14-year-old girl.
Matthew S. Puccio, 27, is being held at the London Correctional Institution after he admitted murdering and dismembering Jessica Ray Sacco at their apartment on West Light Street last year. Four other individuals were also convicted for their roles in helping Puccio cover up the crime, before Sacco’s body was discovered.
Now, after a Champaign County Grand Jury met this week, Puccio’s new charges include one count each of unlawful sexual conduct with a minor, a third-degree felony, and importuning, a fifth-degree felony.
His indictment shows he was accused of having unlawful sexual contact with a teenager between Feb. 6 and Feb. 14, 2012. Kevin Talebi, Champaign County prosecutor, said the Urbana Police Division was investigating a separate case when officers discovered the crimes. The most recent incident took place before Puccio murdered Sacco in March, and the two cases are unrelated, Talebi said.
A report from the Urbana Police Division showed the juvenile had run away from home and was staying with Puccio at the West Light Street apartment in February last year when the incident occurred. The teen was eventually taken back to Texas, and Puccio was convicted on a charge of interference with custody. During an interview with authorities in December, however, the teen told investigators in Texas that Puccio had raped her.
Puccio is already facing as much as 42 years in prison in connection with Sacco’s death, after he pleaded guilty to numerous charges, including aggravated murder. A conviction on the new charges could mean additional prison time, Talebi said.
Investigators from the Urbana Police Division interviewed Puccio in prison, where he admitted to having sex with the juvenile, but he said it was consensual. The report showed Puccio was aware of the juvenile’s age at the time of the incident.
Puccio is scheduled to face an arraignment hearing at 9:45 a.m. Thursday in Champaign County Common Pleas Court.
Others indicted by a Champaign County Grand Jury include:
• Lee E. Boyd, 42, of 5859 Mingo St., Cable, on charges that include one count each of theft, receiving stolen property, aggravated possession of drugs, possession of drugs, possessing criminal tools, illegal use or possession of marijuana drug paraphernalia and possession of marijuana.
• Shawn M. Mitchell, 31, of 7706 E. Ohio 29, Mechanicsburg, on one count each of petty theft and receiving stolen property and two counts burglary.
• Michael S. Bass, 35, of 2023 E. U.S. 36, Urbana, on one count each of kidnapping and carrying a concealed weapon and two counts of abduction.
• Brian L. Nott, 35, of 4165 Flatfoot Road, Cable, on one count of theft and two counts of forgery.
• John R. Freeman, 47, of 701 Mill St., North Lewisburg, on one count each of grand theft, receiving stolen property and falsification in a theft offense.
• Michael A. Akers, 28, of 526 E. Sandusky St., Urbana, on one count each of aggravated possession of drugs, possession of heroin, endangering children and operating a motor vehicle under the influence.
• Michael C. Collett, 24, of 152 Ferncliff Place, Springfield, on two counts of identity fraud.
• Kody A. Kerns, 18, of 160 S. High St., St. Paris, on two counts of theft of drugs.
• Antonio L. Woodard Jr., 23, of 1666 Children’s Home Road, Urbana, on one count each of domestic violence and violating a protection order.
• Marcus W. Grapes, 34, of 2225 Tavenner St., Springfield, on one count each of domestic violence and attempted disrupting public services.
• Gerald L. Stotler, 31, last-known address, 6617 Pleasant Chapel Road, Springfield, on one count each of grand theft when the property is a firearm or dangerous ordnance, safecracking, petty theft and receiving stolen property and two counts of burglary.
• Brandon J. Russell, 30, of Bellefontaine, on one count each of petty theft, attempted petty theft, criminal damaging and two counts of burglary.
• Jacob J. Young, 19, of 522 S. Church St., St. Paris, on one count of unlawful sexual conduct with a minor.
• Kenneth M. Park, 30, of Bellefontaine, on one count each of safecracking, theft from an elderly person or disabled adult, and possessing criminal tools.
• Todd D. Turvene, 37, of Greenville, on two counts of theft.
• Joseph A. Hamilton, 44, last-known address 403 Railroad St., Urbana, on one count of failure to appear as required by recognizance.
• Joshua L. Powers, 27, of 208 Poe Ave., Urbana, on one count of failure to appear as required by recognizance.
• Shane M. Hardin, 37, of Wapakoneta, on one count each of importuning and contributing to the unruliness or delinquency of a child, and two counts of unlawful sexual conduct with a minor.