Man sentenced to 11 years for string of Springfield home burglaries

  • Parker Perry
  • Staff Writer
6:00 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 28, 2017 Crime

A Springfield man has been sentenced to prison for 11 years in connection with his role in several Springfield home burglaries.

Ronald Moore, 48, pleaded guilty to five counts involving breaking into homes in the Ridgewood neighborhood. Clark County Common Pleas Court Judge Richard O’Neill sentenced him last week, just a few days after the judge sentenced Moore’s partner, Jeffery Jenkins, 38, to eight years in prison for his part in the crimes.

Clark County Assistant Prosecutor Brian Driscoll said locking the men up for a long time is a big accomplishment.

“These guys were breaking into houses and getting them off the street, we are very happy about it,” he said.

Moore and Jenkins said in court that they were suffering from drug addiction at the time of the burglaries. They said they were stealing to get money to buy drugs. The two men were arrested after an officer pulled a truck over the two were using and spotted stolen items inside.

A search warrant was issued for a hotel room they were staying in based on the evidence, Driscoll said, and more stolen items were found.

“They both were addicted to heroin and using heroin on a regular basis and that’s how they justify it,” Driscoll said. “The property crime is simply for these individuals trying to get their next hit.”

Driscoll said in court that he hopes both men are able to get clean, but they needed to pay for the crimes committed. O’Neill said when sentencing Jenkins that a 3-year-old girl feared going inside her home after the burglaries because she didn’t feel safe and an older couple had lost priceless family heirlooms during one of the break-ins.

The alleged break-ins took place in the Ridgewood area of the city in April.

View full experience