The former Enon clerk-treasurer accused of stealing nearly $40,000 in village funds was indicted on charges of theft in office and tampering with evidence by a Clark County grand jury on Monday.
According to Clark County Common Pleas Court records, Debra E. Maurer, 48, of 150 S. Harrison St. in Enon, is facing one count of theft in office and 12 counts of tampering with evidence, all felonies.
Maurer was elected as clerk-treasurer in November 2003 and again in November 2007. She didn’t run for re-election again and her term expired on March 31, 2012.
After Maurer’s term ended, village officials allegedly noticed several accounting concerns including an inability to balance village financial books, unpaid state taxes, discrepancies with bank statements, two employees with Social Security numbers of 999-99-9999, and failure to return bank statements, payroll documents and other reports to the village offices.
The grand jury also returned the following indictments:
• David L. Arnett, 27, Clark County Jail, two counts of forgery.
• Jeffery L. Owens, 57, 919 Mound St., burglary.
• James M. Bruner, 27, 40 E. Madison Ave., Apt. 1, burglary.
• Dexter W. Moore, 23, 401 Section St., two counts of aggravated vehicular assault and two counts of OVI.
• William F. Roberts Sr., 32, Clark County Jail, two counts of burglary.
• Karl D. Gaston, 41, Clark County Jail, failure to register a change of address.
• Jazmin Coulverson, 20, 1466 N. Fourth St., robbery and tampering with evidence.
• Jacob E. Gilbert, 50, 2340 E. Home Road, two counts of OVI.
• Sherrie L. Collins, 37, 39 W. Liberty St., two counts of felonious assault.
• Kyle J. Warner, 27, 1620 Sweetbriar St., forgery and receiving stolen property.
• Jeffrey L. Stewart, 30, 820 E. John St., Apt. B, trafficking in heroin, possession of heroin, having weapons under disability and possessing a defaced firearm.
• Anthony M. Springer, 20, 711 Broadway St., rape.
• Danielle N. Burkhead, 27, address at large, theft.
• Rodney D. Ragland Sr. 47, Clark County Jail, violating protection order or consent agreement.
• Lahkim J. Quisenberry, 21, 428 W. Mulberry St., two counts of aggravated robbery.
• Steven S. Boysel Jr. 25, 2200 S. Hadley Ave., robbery.