One man was killed and another was rushed to a hospital Saturday evening after a fire erupted inside a garage while the two men were working on a truck, according to Troy fire officials.
Fire crews responded the blaze at 1009 S. Mulberry St. around 6 p.m. Investigators said the relationship between the two men was not immediately clear, but both men were adults. Officials on scene also said family members told them the two men were brothers. As of late Saturday night, their names were unavailable.
The man who was able to escape was taken to Upper Valley Medical Center in Troy. He is expected to survive, authorities said.
“He had some cuts on his face, (was) obviously soot-covered,” said Troy Fire Chief Chris Boehringer.
He said the men were replacing a gas tank on a truck.
“They had finally gotten the old tank off and were putting on the new tank when something inside the garage created a spark, igniting fumes that more than likely caused an explosion,” he said.
Authorities said Monday the report of an explosion turned out later to be tires bursting.
Details were scarce Saturday night.
“Until we get in there and get some photographs and get things moved around, it will be hard to say what exactly caused the spark,” Boehringer said.
Neighbors said that when police arrived, they needed to use their cruiser to strike the garage door to get inside. They were unsuccessful.
Boehringer said the blaze was the first fatal fire in Troy in about three years.
“Fortunately for us they’re few and far between,” he said. “But when they do happen they’re tragic.”