You have reached your limit of free articles this month.

Enjoy unlimited access to SpringfieldNewsSun.com

Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks.

GREAT REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

  • IN-DEPTH REPORTING
  • INTERACTIVE STORYTELLING
  • NEW TOPICS & COVERAGE
  • ePAPER
X

You have read of premium articles.

Get unlimited access to all of our breaking news, in-depth coverage and interactive features. Starting at just 99c for 8 weeks.

X

Welcome to SpringfieldNewsSun.com

Your source for Clark and Champaign counties’ hometown news. All readers have free access to a limited number of stories every month.

If you are a News-Sun subscriber, please take a moment to login for unlimited access.

Human foods that could be dangerous, if not deadly, to dogs


Those big eyes, the little whimpers, how can you not cave and give your pampered pooch a little taste?  But before you do, there are some human favorites that your doggie's system can't handle. 

Here are the top seven you need to avoid so you can avoid a trip to the vet. 

1.  Chocolate

According to DogShow.com, the chemical that gives chocolate that yummy taste can be deadly to dogs.  It is actually the most common cause of dog poisoning.  Signs of chocolate poisoning are as small as vomiting and diarrhea to respiratory failure or cardiac arrest. 

2. Grapes and raisins

The ASPCA says grape and raisins has been associated with dogs' kidney failure.  Doctors are not sure what exactly causes it, so the safest course of action is to not let your pets have grapes or raisins.  

>> Read more trending stories  

3. Onions and garlic

Onions may make you cry, but the ASPCA says there are compounds in anything in the onion family that can damage your dog's red blood cells.  Garlic is more dangerous than onions. 

4. Macadamia nuts

While healthy for humans, Macadamia nuts are dangerous, but usually not deadly for dogs.  They may become weak in the legs and have tremors for up to 48 hours after ingesting the nut, according to DogShow.com

5. Avocado

Avocado, according to the ASPCA , has the chemical called persin that can be toxic.  But it will usually be a minor upset stomach, but only if they eat a large amount of the flesh or peel of an avocado. 

6. Alcohol

Dogs are affected more by alcohol than people according to the ASPCA.  Usually, it will cause vomiting and disorientation.  But dogs, like humans, can have seizures, coma or die from too much alcohol.  If a dog can't stand up, the ASPCA says they should be watched closely by a vet until they fully recover. 

7. Bread dough

The yeast that makes the dough rise is dangerous for dogs in any amount.  Yeast will multiply in the stomach, expanding, causing pain or even destroy tissue according to DogShow.com



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in

When sending flowers just won’t do

Flowers. Don’t send them. My former colleague, Tim, lost his beloved Uncle Bill this week. People sent flowers. That’s what they do at times like these. Tim says don’t do it. Not because he didn’t adore his uncle. Oh, how he adored him. Still does. “He’s the man who influenced me to become a journalist,” he...
WASSO Kitchens Tour is Saturday
WASSO Kitchens Tour is Saturday

Some of Springfield’s hottest kitchens will welcome fans in this weekend. The 11th annual Women’s Association of the Springfield Symphony Orchestra (WASSO) Kitchens Tour will highlight five different spaces, 1-4 p.m. Saturday, April 29. The tour is a fundraiser with proceeds benefitting the Springfield Symphony Orchestra. “We&rsquo...
Katharine the great white shark lurking in waters off central Florida coast
Katharine the great white shark lurking in waters off central Florida coast

  Katharine, the great white shark, has surfaced again in Florida waters, this time pinging off the coast just north of Port St. Lucie. Katharine, who has been swimming up the east coast of Florida since January, started her northward trek parallel to Lake Worth on January 13. In the months that have followed, she has moved up the coast as far...
Woman claims Fitbit burned her arm after it ‘exploded’
Woman claims Fitbit burned her arm after it ‘exploded’

A Wisconsin woman said she suffered second-degree burns on her arm after her Fitbit tracker “exploded” while she read a book, ABC News reported. >> Read more trending news  Dina Mitchell said she had owned her Fitbit Flex 2 for about two weeks when the fitness tracking device allegedly caught fire on her arm Tuesday night...
What’s under your feet at the playground?
What’s under your feet at the playground?

The playground: a universal source of fun for children. It’s also a place to burn calories, make new friends and develop skills like how to judge risks and make decisions. A good playground challenges and engages children but is also designed to keep them safe. One of the best ways to lower the chances of serious injuries is to make sure there...
More Stories