The formerly geeky look has found favor with trend-setters in New York.
"Layering sandals with socks is the perfect way to transition seasons," stylist Sara Cooper told DNAinfo New York.
Nevertheless, she stressed there is a right way and a wrong way to go about it.
Cooper advises wearing "lightweight and solid-colored socks with flat-formed shoes."
She added one last piece of advice. “You'll definitely want to show some skin and sex this trend up to avoid feeling frumpy."
Teen Vogue jumped on board, writing, “Socks and sandals are back in. And we don't know about you, but as avid fashion rule-breakers, we're super pumped about it."
Several well-known stars have been seen taking the plunge, including Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, Justin Bieber, David Beckham and Bruce Willis.
- Human foods that could be dangerous, if not deadly, to dogs
- Teacher suspended for grabbing boys face, holding him against a wall
- Classmates find out teen girl was actually 31-year-old impostor
- Woman barred from ranting about family on Facebook
- Teen attacked 4-year-old girl with crowbar at Wal-Mart, police say