Chris Rock almost made the play of the day at Yankee Stadium.
Instead, the comedian wound up with a nice prize — a foul ball that nearly landed in his lap during Thursday's game between the Houston Astros and New York Yankees.
Rock was sitting in the front row behind Houston's dugout when Astros rookie Jon Singleton lofted a high foul popup toward the third-base side in the seventh inning. Rock raised his arms to catch it, holding a cellphone in his left hand as he shielded his head.
The ball fell inches behind him, bounced off a seat and Rock outreached another fan to corral the souvenir. Rock held the ball aloft, got a cheer from the crowd and then gave it to a young boy.
Rock is a longtime Mets fan and has recorded a "Let's Go, Mets!" chant this year for the videoboard at Citi Field. He wore a Yankees hat to Thursday's game.
- Monster grouper swallows 4-foot shark whole
- Report: Your instant ramen noodles could be killing you
- Groom fakes his own death to get out of wedding
- Police: Man arrested after complaining he didn’t get sex at strip club
- Woman caught allegedly having sex with dog, then poisons roommates