You can get free tax preparation help at several sites throughout our region this year.
The Internal Revenue Service announced last week that it plans to open the 2013 tax filing season and start processing individual income tax returns on Jan. 30. The deadline to file your tax return is April 15, unless you file for an extension.
To help you get organized, we bring you a sampling of 20 locations in our area where free tax preparation guidance is or will be available through resources including AARP and the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program.
Please call these locations before heading out for more details and to find out if you qualify for free tax help. An appointment is required at several of these sites.
- Charles I. Lathrem Senior Center: 2900 Glengarry Drive, Kettering; 937-296-2480
- Clark County Public Library, Enon Branch: 209 E. Main St., Enon; 937-864-2502
- Community Action Partnership of the Greater Dayton Area: 719 S. Main St., Dayton; 937-341-5000
- Community Action Partnership - Youth Empowerment Center: 716 E. Main St., Trotwood; 937-341-5000
- Dayton Christian Center: 1352 W. Riverview Ave., Dayton; 937-275-7174
- Dayton Urban Ministry Center: 3665 Otterbein Ave., Dayton; 937-278-1167
- Greater Dayton Recreation Center at Roosevelt Commons: 2021 W. Third St., Dayton; 937-333-4732
- Hamilton Lane Library: 300 N. Third St., Hamilton; 513-894-6557
- Hithergreen Center: 5900 Hithergreen Drive, Dayton; 937-435-2415
- Huber Heights Senior Center: 6428 Chambersburg Road, Huber Heights; 937-233-9999
- Life Enrichment Center: 425 N. Findlay St., Dayton; 937-252-5700
- MidPointe Library System Middletown: 125 S. Broad St., Middletown; 513-424-1251
- New Carlisle Public Library: 111 E. Lake Ave., New Carlisle; 937-845-3601
- Partners in Prime: 140 Ross Ave., Hamilton; 513-867-1998
- Robert “Sonny” Hill Jr. Community Center: 800 Lafayette Ave., Middletown; 513-425-7866
- The Job Center: 1111 S. Edwin C. Moses Blvd., Dayton; 937-913-2000
- Towne Mall: 3461 Towne Blvd., Franklin; 513-424-3318
- United Senior Services: 101 S. Fountain Ave., Springfield; 937-323-4948
- Vandalia Senior Center: 21 Tionda Drive South, Vandalia; 937-898-1232
- Yellow Springs Senior Center Inc.: 227 Xenia Ave., Yellow Springs; 937-767-5751
The 20 locations listed in this story are just a sampling of the many places where you can get free tax preparation help and to help point you in the right direction.
To find places where the Internal Revenue Service Volunteer Income Tax Assistance and the Tax Counseling for the Elderly programs are offering free tax preparation help near you, go to irs.treasury.gov/freetaxprep.
To find locations where the AARP is offering free tax help, go to aarp.org/applications/VMISLocator/searchTaxAideLocations.action.
It is important that you call these locations before heading out to confirm that free tax help is or will be offered there in 2013, to find out if you qualify for this free assistance, and for more details. Remember that many sites require appointments.